Adjusting an iPhone’s volume is easy if you understand its trick. People get confused about this option because there are several ways to go about it. So, how do you set the volume on your iPhone?
The volume buttons are the most popular choice many people use to adjust the volume on an iPhone. However, there are other options you could use to set the volume on an iPhone, like asking Siri, using the Control Center, or tinkering with the Settings.
Adjusting the volume on your iPhone could be a simple or complex process, depending on which method you use. There are four ways to set the volume on your iPhone, and we’ll guide you on using all four methods in this guide.
Four Methods To Adjust Volume on iPhone
There are several ways to adjust the volume of an iPhone, and the method you use depends on whether or not you have changed the default settings on your iPhone or if you are playing audio. The steps below will explain the procedure better.
Method #1: Using Volume Buttons
You can use the volume buttons to increase and reduce the media volume on an iPhone. If you do it right, you can also use the volume buttons to adjust the ringer and alert volume. Follow the steps below to learn how to use the volume buttons to adjust the volume on your iPhone.
- Locate the volume button on the left side of your device below the mute button.
- Play or turn off audio to adjust the media volume, ringer, and alert volume.
- Press the up or down volume buttons to increase or reduce the volume to your desired level.
By default, the volume button only adjusts the ringer and alert volume. But you can switch this to adjust the media volume by enabling a feature in Settings, under “Sounds and Haptics“, and toggle “Change With Buttons“.
Method #2: Using Siri
Using your voice is probably one of the easiest ways to set the volume on an iPhone. Siri, a virtual assistant on iPhones, helps you find things quicker and adjust various settings, including the volume using your voice. Follow the steps below to learn how to use Siri to adjust the volume on your iPhone.
- Press the side button or home button to activate Siri.
- Start your request with “Hey Siri”.
- Tell Siri to increase or reduce the volume by saying a command like “Hey Siri, turn down the volume” when you want Siri to reduce the volume of your iPhone or “Hey Siri, turn up the volume” when you want Siri to increase the volume.
When you use Siri to adjust volume, it modifies it based on system preference. So, Siri will change the audio’s volume if you play audio. Similarly, if you still have your audio settings at default, Siri will adjust the ringer volume when you have no audio playing.
Method #3: Using Settings
Going into your iPhone device’s settings is another way to adjust the volume of your iPhone. In Settings, you get more sound options you can change to suit your needs. Follow the steps below to learn how to use Settings to set the volume on your iPhone.
- Open Settings by finding the app in either the App Library or the home screen.
- Tap on “Sound and Haptics” or “Sound“, depending on the iPhone model.
- Find the slider that says “Ringer and Alert“, then use it to adjust the volume as you see fit.
Using settings to adjust volume only modifies the ringer and alert volume, not the media volume.
Method #4: Using Control Center
The Control Center is a feature on iPhone devices that gives users access to basic settings. You can use the Control Center to adjust the volume of your iPhone even when it is locked and when you don’t want to use the volume button. Follow the steps below to learn how to use the Control Center to adjust the volume on your iPhone.
- Open the Control Center by swiping from the bottom edge of the iPhone screen with the Home button and the top right corner of the iPhone without a Home button.
- Drag the volume slider up or down to increase or reduce your desired volume.
The volume slider in the Control Center adjusts the media volume. When you press and hold this volume slider in the Control Center for a few seconds, you get more volume options you can adjust.
If you haven’t noticed how adjusting your iPhone’s volume works, you should try it out. As you have seen above, there is more than one way to adjust the volume on your iPhone. So, feel free to use anyone that is most convenient for you.