Steam is a gaming app that can automatically launch upon starting your computer or laptop. If you are tired of this and don’t want Steam to open on startup, you are at the right place. You need to follow some simple steps that will help you prevent Steam from automatically starting up.
Go to Steam’s settings and open the “Interface” settings. Here you will need to uncheck the box that says “Run Steam when my compute starts.” This will prevent Steam from automatically starting when you turn on your computer.
Different methods can stop it. Today I will introduce you to some techniques that will include easy steps to disable Steam from opening on startup.
Why Does Steam Open Up Automatically on Startup?
The majority of gaming desktop apps are set to the default settings, where they quickly startup upon starting the computer. Similarly, Steam also automatically opens up when you turn on your computer.
Sometimes, it could be very annoying that an app from your computer engages your computer’s memory and processor, and you will have to wait to perform other tasks. So, if you want to get rid of these issues, here are some quick and easy methods that will help you.
How to Stop Steam from Opening on Startup?
You can use two methods to stop Steam from opening on startup. Let’s briefly discuss them below.
Method #1: Turn It Off From Steam’s Settings on macOS
You can stop Steam from opening on startup by modifying its internal settings. Here are the simple steps that you can follow if you are using MacBook or macOS:
- First of all, launch the Steam Desktop App.
- Click on the “Steam“ option in the top left corner of the app.
- Then, a drop-down list will appear; you will have to click on the “Settings.”
- A new list will be opened that will include all the settings. You will have to click on the “Interface.”
- Interface settings will be opened on the right side.
- Here you will have to uncheck the option that says “Run Steam when my computer starts.”
- Now close the app and restart your computer.
The steam app will never open automatically upon turning on your computer.
Method #2: Turn It Off From System’s Settings on Windows
Another method to prevent Steam from opening on startup is changing the system’s settings. You can follow the steps given below to proceed:
- Right-click on the “Start” or “Windows” icon on the bottom left corner of your screen.
- A list of options will appear; you will have to click on the “Task Manager.”
- This will open a new window.
- Here you will see some options, and you will have to click on the “Startup” option.
- You will see different apps, but you will have to look for the “Steam” app and right-click on it.
- Now, click on the “Disable” button and close the window.
- Finally, restart your computer.
The steam app will not automatically launch when you turn on your computer.
Here I have discussed the two simplest methods that you can use to stop Steam from opening on startup. Depending on the method you choose, you will have to follow the steps carefully. But once you finish these, you will have no trouble turning off Steam from opening automatically.
Frequently Asked Questions
Steam opens automatically on Mac when you open your computer because it’s been set as a startup app. If you are not a gamer or tired of accidentally launching Steam every time you turn on your computer, you can stop this from happening by following Method #1 given above.
Almost all gaming apps are set on the default settings of opening up on startup. That is why they automatically open themselves upon startup. This might not be very pleasant for most gamers who use Steam and other gaming apps for their video games.
Since Steam is a digital platform for purchasing and playing games, it must maintain the security of its users’ accounts.
If you have to log in every time you open the Steam app, it’s likely because your internet provider provides dynamic IP addresses. Every time your IP address changes, Steam considers it an unauthorized attempt at accessing your account and prompts you to log in again.
To get rid of this problem, you will have to switch your internet from a Dynamic IP address to a Static IP address.