You may need to capture the images from one screen using a multiple monitor setup. However, many users often get confused with going through this process.
To take a screenshot of only one monitor, place your cursor over the desktop (screen) you want to capture. Press your keyboard’s Ctrl + Alt + PrtSc keys, open Microsoft Paint, and press Ctrl + V to paste the image. Hit the Ctrl + S keys to save the screenshot to your PC.
We have put together a comprehensive guide for you on taking a screenshot of only one monitor in your multiple monitor setup with easy step-by-step methods.
Taking Screenshots of Only One Monitor
Are you wondering how to take a screenshot of only one monitor? Our 6 step-by-step methods will help you perform this task without much hassle.
Method #1: Using the Snipping Tool
If you want to take a screenshot of only one monitor from your multiple monitor setup, you can use the Snipping Tool with these steps.
- Type “Snipping tool” in the Windows search bar and open it.
- Click on the arrow next to “Mode” and select the “Rectangular Snip” option.
- Click “New” or press Ctrl + N on the snipping tool screen.
- Drag the cursor to snip the screen area that you want to capture.
- Press Ctrl + S and select the file where you want to save the screenshot on your PC.
With the Snipping Tool, you can take a screenshot of only the monitor screen set as your primary monitor.
Method #2: Using the Print Screen Key
With these steps, you can also use the PrtSc key on your PC to take a screenshot of only one monitor.
- Place the mouse cursor on one of the monitors.
- Press the Ctrl + Alt + PrtSc keys to take a screenshot.
- Open Microsoft Paint on your PC and press Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot.
- Press Ctrl + S and save the image in your desired location.
You can also screenshot a monitor by placing the cursor over it and pressing the Ctrl + PrtSc keys together.
Method #3: Using the Snagit App
Another effective method to screenshot only one monitor is using the Snagit third-party application.
- Download and launch the Snagit app on your PC.
- Go to the “All-in-One” tab on the main page and click the “Capture” button.
- Move the cursor to the corner of the monitor and drag it to highlight the screen space.
- Press Ctrl + S to save the screenshot to your device.
Method #4: Using the Lightshot App
Another app you can use for capturing the screenshot of only one monitor is Lightshot.
- Install and open the Lightshot app on your PC.
- Place the cursor on one of the desktop screens you want to capture and hit the “Print Screen” key.
- The monitor screen darkens, and a prompt text asking you to “Select area” appears next to the cursor.
- Drag the cursor from one corner to the other and capture the screen space you want.
- From the menu at the bottom, click the floppy disk icon to save the image.
Method #5: Using the Greenshot App
You can also screenshot only one monitor via the Greenshot app following the below steps.
- Download and open the Greenshot app on your PC.
- Press the “Print Screen” key.
- Highlight the part of the screen you want to capture by dragging the cursor.
- Press Ctrl + S, choose a location, and save the screenshot to your device.
To capture only one monitor screen using the Greenshot app, ensure to place the mouse cursor on your desired monitor before pressing the “Print Screen” key.
Method #6: Using the ShareX App
You can use the ShareX app with these steps to take a screenshot of only one monitor.
- Download and launch the ShareX app on your PC.
- Find the “Toolbar” on the main screen and click the “Capture” button.
- From the drop-down menu, click “Monitor” and choose the monitor you want to capture.
- Drag the cursor to highlight the area you want to capture.
- Release the mouse to capture the screenshot.
You have successfully taken the screenshot of only one monitor from your multiple monitors’ setup.
It is possible to find the saved screenshots by opening the “Toolbar” on the app and selecting the “Screenshot” folder.
In this guide, we’ve discussed how to take a screenshot of only one monitor using the Snipping Tool and some Shortcut Keys. We have also looked into using different third-party apps like Snagit, Lightshot, Greenshot, and ShareX for capturing only one screen.
We hope one of these methods has worked for you, and you can now easily take a screenshot of only one monitor on your computer.