One challenge many people face when they buy a new computer is that most of their data get scrambled. This doesn’t mean your Outlook emails should be lost when you change computers. Provided you have access to the Outlook accounts, you can quickly move its data files from one computer to another. Now, how do you transfer Outlook emails to a new computer?
To transfer Outlook data to a new computer, you must first export the Outlook mails to .PST or .OST file format. Copy this data file to the new computer and then set up your profile on the new computer.
Transferring your Outlook data becomes complex when you don’t have access to your Outlook profile. In such a case, your Outlook data files enter the orphaned stage, which becomes inaccessible. Still, you can use an .OST or .PST converter to extract and transfer your Outlook data to a new computer.
Continue reading to learn how to transfer Outlook emails to a new computer.
- Step-by-Step Guide on How To Transfer Outlook Emails to a New Computer
Step-by-Step Guide on How To Transfer Outlook Emails to a New Computer
When you export your Outlook data to a new computer, it moves your notes, calendar, emails, tasks, etc. Using the Outlook Import Export Wizard makes it convenient to move your Outlook data around. You can even use the Outlook Import Export to import .PST files on Microsoft Exchange Server and Office 365. Follow this easy step-by-step guide below to transfer Outlook emails to a new computer.
Step #1: Export the Outlook Mailbox and Other Items to .PST
To open the Outlook Import Export Wizard, follow these steps.
- Launch the Outlook app on your PC.
- Go to “Files” > “Open and Export” > “Import/Export”.
- Click the “Export to a file” option and tap “Next”.
- Choose the “Outlook Data File” option and click “Next”.
- Select the account you want to export. This enables you to export all emails, calendars, tasks, contacts, notes, and so on for that account.
- Ensure that the “Include Subfolders” check box is selected, then click “Next”.
- Click “Browse” to select where you want to export the data file.
- Enter a filename and click “OK” to continue.
- Make other necessary settings and select “Finish” to start exporting.
If you want to export your Outlook data file for multiple accounts, repeat the same steps for each account.
Step #2: Copy the Outlook Data File to the New Computer
When your Outlook data file has been exported successfully, you can copy the data file to a new computer. You can do this in several ways, but using an external storage device is the most straightforward way to send it to the new computer.
Here’s what you need to do.
- Plug the external storage into your PC to copy the Outlook data file.
- Open “File Explorer” on your PC and locate the folder where you exported the Outlook data file.
- Select the file and press Ctrl + C to copy the file.
- Open the external storage and paste the file into a named folder.
- Unplug the external storage from the PC and plug it into the new computer.
- Locate the file in the external storage folders, copy it, and paste it into a folder on the new PC.
Step #3: Set Up a Profile on Your New Computer
With the Outlook data file now on your new computer, you can set up your Outlook profile. You can either create a new profile or use your existing profile. However, if you’re going to set up a new profile, press Windows + R and type
Outlook.exe/manage profile. You should skip this step if you want to use your existing profile.
In the pop-up options, select “Add” and enter a profile name. Profile your account information and credential to log in. Select the existing Outlook data file and browse to choose the .PST file from the folder you pasted the file. Select “Next” > “Finish” to complete the process.
Step #4: Import the Outlook Data to the Existing Outlook Profile
If you don’t want to create a new Outlook profile, follow the steps below.
- Launch the Outlook app and go to “File”.
- Select “Open and Export” > “Import/Export” to launch the wizard.
- Select the “Import from another program or file” option in the wizard and click “Next”.
- Tap the “Outlook Data File” option and click “Next”.
- Click “Browse” to select the .PST file you transferred to the new PC, then click “Next”.
- Enter your password if prompted and click “OK”, and the wizard will import your Outlook data.
The steps to import your Outlook data, including emails, calendar, tasks, and so on, from one computer to another may seem long, but it is pretty straightforward when you start the process. You shouldn’t have to lose your Outlook data when you buy a new computer. So, take advantage of the Outlook Import Export wizard to transfer your Outlook data whenever you need to.