You might want to use a large display while working or watching videos on your computer or laptop. Fortunately, you can convert a TV screen into a monitor and stress your eyes a little less.
To turn your TV into a monitor, buy an HDMI cable and plug it’s one end into the TV’s HDMI port and the other into the HDMI port of your computer. Turn on your Smart TV, press “Input/Source” on the TV remote, use the arrow keys to select the HDMI input, and choose the correct HDMI input source.
We took the time to write a comprehensive step-by-step guide on turning a TV into a monitor with easy instructions.
Turning TV Into a Monitor
If you don’t know how to turn your TV into a monitor, our 3 step-by-step methods will help you go through this process quickly.
Method #1: Using HDMI Cable
The easiest way to turn your TV into a monitor is by using an HDMI cable by following these steps.
- Buy a compatible HDMI cable from a reputable source.
- Plug one end of the HDMI cable to the back of the TV’s HDMI port.
- Plug the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port of your computer.
- Turn on your TV and press the “Input” or “Source” button on your TV’s remote.
- Use the arrow keys on the remote to select the correct HDMI input (i.e., HDMI 1, HDMI 2, or HMDI 3).
Whatever is shown on your computer screen will also be displayed on your TV.
Method #2: Using a Wireless Connection
If you don’t want to use an HDMI cable to display the computer screen on your TV, you can opt for a wireless connection. Ensure that your computer/laptop and smart TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and do the below steps afterward.
- Click the “Start” button on your computer desktop and click “Settings”.
- Click “System”.
- Click “Display”.
- Click “Connect to a wireless display”.
- Select your TV from the list and click “OK”.
Your smart TV is turned into a monitor. Now, you can work on your computer and see the contents on your TV.
If you don’t see your smart TV under the “Connect to a wireless display” list, click the “Detect” button under the “Multiple Displays” header option.
Method #3: Using AirPlay on Mac Computer
You can quickly turn your TV into a monitor by connecting your Mac computer to it through AirPlay. However, you need to ensure that you have either an Apple TV streaming device or an AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV.
Here is the complete method to mirror your Mac laptop screen on your TV through AirPlay.
- Connect your Mac laptop and AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV or Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi connection.
- Turn on your Mac, and click “Control Center” on the menu bar.
- Click “Screen Mirroring”.
Choose your Apple or smart TV from the list, turning your TV into a monitor.
Apple TV connects directly to your smart TV, so when you choose Apple TV under the “Screen Mirroring” option on your Mac, the laptop screen will automatically display on your TV.
If you don’t want to mirror your Mac screen to your TV anymore, click “Screen Mirroring” and “Stop Mirroring”.
Method #4: Using Chromecast With Chromebook
If you are a Chromebook user, you can wirelessly cast your TV with a Google Chromecast device and turn it into a monitor. You don’t have to invest in an HDMI cable, which will be a cleaner setup.
Before going through this method, ensure that your TV and Chromebook are connected to the same internet connection.
- Plug your Google Chromecast device into the HDMI port at the back or side of your TV.
- Turn on your TV and press the “Input/Source” button on the remote.
- Choose the HDMI port where the Chromecast device is plugged.
- On your Chromebook, click “Time” and ensure “Bluetooth” and “Wi-Fi” options are turned on.
- Click “Cast devices available”.
- Select the content you want to cast to your TV screen (i.e., desktop).
- Click “Share”.
Your Chromebook will now cast the screen to your TV. If you want to stop sharing your Chromebook screen on your TV, click “Time” and “Stop” next to the “Casting Screen” option.
It is possible to cast Windows desktop to your TV on any computer. To do this, launch Chrome, click the three dots (menu icon), click “Cast” > “Sources” > “Cast Desktop”, and select your TV from the list.
In this guide on how to turn a TV into a monitor, we’ve discussed several ways to mirror your computer or laptop screen to your TV. We’ve also discussed using a wired or wireless connection to make things easy for you.
Hopefully, your problem is solved, and you can now work on your laptop and see the contents on a more prominent display.