The era of e-readers has quickly caught up to become a part of mainstream media. However, in recent years, the rapid development of the space has made its handling somewhat confusing for new users, especially if we account for the powering on and off mechanisms of Kindle.
You can turn off Amazon Kindle by pressing and holding the power button for at least 10 seconds. The screen going blank will be the indication of the process’s completion. Pressing the power button again will turn on Kindle.
Pressing your power button might not always result in a shutdown. However, that does not mean that something is broken.
This article will cover everything related to powering on Amazon Kindle.
How Does the Kindle Power Button Work?
An Amazon Kindle generally ships with three modes tied to a single power button. Therefore, the functionality depends on the duration of the press. Your power button should be able to perform the following modes.
- Sleep: A quick press of the power button will initiate this. This mode will cause your Kindle device to go into a state of near-shutdown while retaining the current session’s data.
- On: If your Kindle is already in the Sleep or Shutdown mode, pressing the power button will power it back on.
- Off: You can achieve this mode by holding the power button for 10 seconds. The screen will go blank, and all the primary data of your current session will reset.
The power button behaves in similar ways in any Kindle device. Therefore, you should be good to go as long as you don’t release the power button instantly after pressing it.
You might find a power switch in specific Kindle models instead of a button. Luckily, the behavior of both of them is the same. Therefore, you won’t need any extra steps for that.
Turning Off Kindle
Since you now know the basic functionality of the power button, we can now safely proceed to the shutdown method. The steps aren’t that complicated, so feel free to follow along. Here is how you can completely turn off your Amazon Kindle.
Step #1: Locating the Power Button
The power button on your Kindle device is located at the bottom, but it may vary depending on the model. Here is where the switch is usually found on your Amazon Kindle.
You may also find it in the top-right corner of your Kindle device. Always look near the USB port since they are soldered on the same module. You might need to look for it on the right or left side if you cannot find it in the mentioned areas.
Step # 2: Press and Hold the Power Button
You need to press the locate power button for at least 10 seconds. Your Kindle device will display a sign of affirmation in one of the following ways.
- Vibration: Some versions will vibrate when they confirm the button hold. After the pulse, your device will proceed with the power off sequence.
- Display Shutdown: Your Kindle might not need additional steps since a turned-off screen either means that the command has been registered or the device has gone into sleep mode.
- Confirmation Prompts: This is the most common form of indication for Kindle devices. Your device essentially asks you to verify whether you want it to shut down or not. Press “Yes” to complete the process.
Amazon claims that the battery life is equally long whether you turn your device off or put it to sleep. Therefore, it’s recommended to put your Kindle to sleep instead of the usual power-off route to preserve your data.
Powering off your Amazon Kindle is not recommended, but doing so is straightforward. You need to press the power button and hold it for a few seconds until the automatic shutdown operation is triggered. Despite this, the booting/powering on sequence is quite simple, and your device will boot up as soon as you press the power button.