By default, Xfinity broadcasts a Wi-Fi signal from your modem to provide internet services. However, this can unknowingly consume a good chunk of your bandwidth, especially if other people connect to the Wi-Fi. This will not only slow down your internet, but it will also increase your internet bill. And the only way to prevent that is to turn the Wi-Fi off on your Xfinity router.
The exact way to turn off the Wi-Fi on your Xfinity Arris router differs from model to model. Still, you have to open the router’s web interface and look for the ‘disable wireless’ setting or something similar. Then, apply the changes, and you’ll be good to go.
If you’re not sure what you exactly need to do, read our step-by-step guide. We cover a few different models, so hopefully, you can find what you’re looking for!
How To Turn Off Wi-Fi on Xfinity Router Arris
Whether you have the Arris TG862, TG852, XB3, XB6, or some other model, the steps to turning off the Wi-Fi are the same. There are only very small differences between the different models, so even if your model isn’t mentioned in this article, you can quickly work out how to turn off the Wi-Fi on your model.
How To Turn Off Wi-Fi on Xfinity Router Arris TG862
If you have the Arris TG862, here’s what you need to do:
- Open a browser and go to http://192.168.0.1 to open up the router’s web interface.
- Log in to the interface. Typically, the admin is the username, and the password is the password, but if that doesn’t work, you can search it up online or go through the user manual that came with your router.
- Once logged in, go to the “Basic Setup” tab and disable wireless.
- Then, click on “Apply”. Once the changes are made, the Wi-Fi light on the modem will turn off.
How To Turn Off Wi-Fi on Xfinity Router Arris TG852
For your Arris TG852, here’s what you should do:
- Go to http://192.168.0.1 to go to the router’s web interface.
- Log in to the interface by putting admin as the user and password as the password.
- Then go to “Enable Wireless” and toggle it “OFF”.
- Once done, click on “Apply” before closing the interface.
How To Turn Off Wi-Fi on Xfinity Router Arris XB3 (TG1682G) or XB6 (TG3483G)
If you have the XB3 or XB6, follow these steps:
- Open up the web admin GUI on the web by going to 10.0.0.1 on your preferred browser.
- Enter the username and password for the admin. The username is admin, and the password is password.
- Once logged in, go to “Connections” and click on Wi-Fi.
- You will see an option termed “Private Wi-Fi Network per Radio”. Here, you’ll see two bands: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Click on edit next to 2.4Ghz.
- Now, click on “Disable” next to “Wireless Networks”.
- Save the settings by clicking on “Save Settings” at the bottom of the page.
- Next, toggle off the option that says “Broadcast network name SSID”.
- Click on “Save Settings” at the bottom of the page.
- Follow steps 4-8 to disable 5Ghz as well.
There’s a difference between hiding your Wi-Fi from broadcasting and disabling the radio transmitting the Wi-Fi signal. The former ensures that your Wi-Fi doesn’t appear in a network list, like on your phone. Meanwhile, the latter completely disables your Wi-Fi.
You now know how to turn off Wi-Fi on your Xfinity Arris router. The exact steps can vary based on the model you have but it’s not too difficult. You just need to log in to the router’s admin web interface and find the right settings. In most cases, it will be something along the lines of ‘disable wireless.’ And once you click on that, you’ll be able to turn off the Wi-Fi.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can turn off your Xfinity Wi-Fi at night, and there are multiple ways to do so. You can either unplug the modem and router before bed or set up parental controls to block access during specific hours.