Apple TVs don’t have physical buttons. Instead, they use Siri remotes for navigation. Unfortunately, these remotes are smaller than average-sized remotes, making them easy to misplace. It’s also not practical to expect immediate replacement after losing your remote. If you lose your Siri remote, it helps to have a convenient alternative to turn on and navigate your Apple TV.
Luckily, you can use your iOS device, in this case, an iPhone or iPad, to turn on your Apple TV. It’s pretty simple. Just set up an Apple TV remote in your iPhone’s control center. Next, follow on-screen instructions and use the iPhone to enter a four-digit passcode into your Apple TV. You can now turn on and control your Apple TV using your iPhone.
If you’ve misplaced or lost your Siri remote and are struggling with turning on your Apple TV, this article is for you. We also detail the exact steps to set up an Apple TV in your device’s control center.
Overview of Turning On Apple TV Without a Remote
It’s easy to misplace the Siri remote due to its small size. Fortunately, you can enjoy the Apple TV experience without the remote by setting up an Apple TV remote on your iOS device. With this remote access, you can control your Apple TV and navigate any smart TV compatible with AirPlay 2.
Before you can start operating your Apple TV without the remote, ensure your iPhone or iPad uses the latest iOS version. This way, the Control Center will automatically add the Apple TV remote. For earlier iOS versions, you can manually add the Apple TV remote by Going to your iPhone’s Settings, then clicking on the Control Center tab. Click on the plus (+) icon next to the Apple TV remote on this page.
Next, we delve into the exact steps to turning on Apple TV without a remote.
Steps to Turn On Apple TV Without a Remote
There are two main methods for turning on Apple TV.
Method #1: Unplugging the Apple TV
This is the most straightforward turning on Apple TV because you don’t need additional devices. To use this method:
- Unplug Apple TV from its power source and then plug it in.
- Apple TV will automatically turn on.
Method #2: Using Your iPhone
Here’s how to use your iPhone to turn on Apple TV. First, add the IOS Apple TV remote app to your iPhone’s Control Center using the steps below:
- Connect the tvOS and iOS to the same Wi-Fi.
- Scroll to your iPhone “Settings”.
- Tap on the “Control Center” tab.
- Scroll to the “More Controls” section of the page and then Tap on the plus (+) icon next to the Apple TV remote.
- The Apple TV remote will automatically add to the iPhone’s iOS Control Center.
After setting up the remote app in your iPhone’s Control Center, use the steps below to turn on Apple TV.
- Ensure you pair the tvOS with the remote app on your iPhone.
- Next, open the iPhone’s “Control Center”.
- Click on the “Apple TV” icon to open the app.
- Tap on the virtual control area of the Apple TV Remote app on your iPhone.
- Your Apple TV will turn on automatically.
If you included a Bluetooth keyboard in your initial Apple TV set-up, you could also use it to control your Apple TV if you don’t have a remote. After turning on your Apple TV by unplugging it, place the keyboard near the Apple TV to initiate the pairing process. After the process is complete, a keyboard icon will appear on the TV screen. Enter the requested code, then use the keyboard to navigate Apple TV.
If you can’t set up the Control Center, Apple TV remote, or turn on the Apple TV, try doing the following:
- Ensure that your iPhone is on the same Wi-Fi network as the Apple TV. To check, Go to the iPhone’s “Settings” > “Wi-Fi”.
- If you still can’t turn on the TV after confirming that both the Apple TV and iPhone are on the Wi-Fi and using the latest iOS versions, try restarting your iPhone and following the steps again. If it still doesn’t work, escalate the issue to an Apple contact center.
As you’ve learned, turning on your Apple TV without a remote is pretty simple if you have an iPhone. Just add the Apple TV app to your iPhone’s control center.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, the user interface of the remote app on your iPhone is similar to the actual Siri remote. It includes all the necessary remote functions, including the menu, Siri, and area.
To avoid incompatibility issues, it’s best to purchase all your Apple devices, including a Siri remote, from an authorized dealer or an Apple store.
If you use Apple TV HD, Apple TV 4K or Apple TV 3rd generation, you can use the virtual Apple TV remote app on your iPhone to turn on your Apple TV.