Are you tired of using the Tab key on your Toshiba laptop keyboard because the mouse has frozen again? Fortunately, quite a few ways can resolve this problem quickly.
To unfreeze a mouse on a Toshiba laptop, hold the Fn key and press F9 to re-enable your touchpad.
To make things easier, we have written a comprehensive step-by-step guide on unfreezing a mouse on a Toshiba laptop.
- Why Is My Toshiba Laptop’s Mouse Frozen?
- Unfreezing a Mouse on a Toshiba Laptop
- Using an External Mouse
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Toshiba Laptop’s Mouse Frozen?
Toshiba laptops are highly esteemed for offering high-quality functions at a low price. However, most users share a common complaint regarding their mouse not working properly.
A few reasons your mouse may freeze on a Toshiba laptop are as follows.
- The Toshiba laptop keyboard may be faulty and need repair.
- The touchpad driver is outdated.
- The laptop is overheating due to unresponsive programs.
- The touchpad has been disabled.
- You may have accidentally locked the touchpad.
Unfreezing a Mouse on a Toshiba Laptop
If you’re struggling with unfreezing a mouse on a Toshiba laptop, our 5 step-by-step methods will help you do this without a problem.
Method #1: Restarting the Toshiba Laptop
You can also restart your Toshiba laptop to help unfreeze the mouse with the following steps.
- Press the Alt + F4 keys simultaneously to access the “Shut Down Windows” menu.
- Use the arrow keys on the Toshiba laptop keyboard to navigate to “Restart”.
- Press Enter and select “OK” to restart your laptop.
- Once the laptop restarts, touch the touchpad and see if the mouse is unfrozen!
Method #2: Re-Enabling the Touchpad
To unfreeze a mouse on a Toshiba laptop, try re-enabling the touchpad with the following steps.
- Turn on your Toshiba laptop.
- Hit the Fn key simultaneously with the F9 key to re-enable the touchpad.
- Try moving the cursor to verify the fix!
Method #3: Updating the Touchpad Driver
You can also unfreeze a mouse on a Toshiba laptop by updating the touchpad driver.
- Search “Cmd” in the Windows search and click to open Command Prompt.
devmgmt.mscand press Enter.
- After the “Device Manager” opens, use the Tab key to navigate to “Mice and other pointing devices”.
- Highlight your mouse, press Enter, and hit the Tab key to go to the “Driver” tab.
- Select “Update Driver” and see if the mouse is working afterward!
Method #4: Closing Unresponsive Programs
Sometimes, the mouse freezes due to unresponsive programs, so it is recommended to close them with these steps.
- To access the GINA screen, hit the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys simultaneously.
- Select “Task Manager” by using the laptop keyboard arrow keys.
- Press Enter to launch Task Manager.
- Check the status bar.
- Select “Not Responding” apps and choose “End Task” to close them.
- Move the cursor from your touchpad to check if it has been fixed.
Method #5: Power Cycling the Toshiba Laptop
Another way to troubleshoot a frozen mouse on a Toshiba laptop is to power cycle it with the following steps.
- Hold the power button on your Toshiba laptop to turn it off.
- Unplug the power cable.
- Remove the battery if it can be removed and wait for 15 seconds.
- Replug the battery and the power cable.
- Turn on your Toshiba laptop to check if the mouse has unfrozen.
Using an External Mouse
If the ways mentioned above fail to unfreeze the mouse on your Toshiba laptop, the last resort is to connect an external mouse with the following steps.
- Power on your Toshiba laptop.
- Locate the USB port and insert the USB receiver that comes with the mouse.
- Let Windows detect the external mouse and wait for the drivers to be automatically installed.
- Install batteries in the mouse.
- Locate the “ON/OFF” switch at the bottom of the mouse and turn it on.
- Once the mouse is connected, move it to verify its operation, and you’re done!
In this guide, we’ve discussed how to unfreeze a mouse on a Toshiba laptop by re-enabling the mousepad, updating the driver, rebooting the laptop, and other methods.
Hopefully, your question is answered, and you can continue doing your tasks without relying on your Toshiba laptop’s keys.
Frequently Asked Questions
To lock your Toshiba laptop’s touchpad, double-tap on the circle in the left corner of the touchpad. You can also unlock it using the same method.
Fortunately, you can reset a Toshiba laptop’s touchpad settings by pressing the Windows button and searching for Control Panel. Now, drag your cursor to “View by” and select “Large icons”.
Choose “Mouse”, navigate to the “Pointers” tab and select “Use Default”. Select “OK” to confirm your decision.