Have you installed Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on your Mac but don’t want to play it anymore? Thankfully, there are a few ways to uninstall this game and delete the leftover traces.
To uninstall CS:GO on Mac, exit the game, open Finder, click “Go”, open the “Applications” folder, and drag the CSGO.app file to Trash. Next, head to the “Library” folder, clear the remaining traces from the directories, empty Trash, and restart your Mac.
To make things more understandable, we have taken the time to write a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to uninstall CS:GO on your Mac. We will also discuss the process of reinstalling CS:GO if you want to play the game again.
- Uninstalling CS:GO on Mac
- Method #1: Uninstalling CS:GO Manually
- Method #2: Uninstalling CS:GO via Steam
- Method #3: Uninstalling CS:GO Using the Terminal
- Method #4: Uninstalling CS:GO Using Third-Party Software
- Reinstalling CS:GO on Mac
Uninstalling CS:GO on Mac
If you are wondering how to uninstall CS:GO on your Mac, our following 4 step-by-step methods will quickly walk you through the whole process.
Method #1: Uninstalling CS:GO Manually
You can manually uninstall CS:GO on your Mac and remove all its system entries by following these steps.
Step #1: Closing CS:GO
In the first step, close the running CS:GO on your Mac. To do this, select the CS:GO app from the Dock and click “Quit CS:GO” from the drop-down menu. Alternatively, you can use the Option + ⌘ + Esc shortcut key to exit CS:GO.
Step #2: Moving the CS:GO App to Trash
In this step, open Finder, click on “Go”, and then click the “Applications” folder in the left pane. Now, locate the CSGO.app file in the “Applications” folder and left-click on it.
Next, select “Move to Trash” from the drop-down menu or drag the CSGO.app to the Trash folder.
Step #3: Removing Leftover CS:GO Files
In the next step, delete the CSGO leftover files from the “Library” folder. To do this, select “Go” from the Finder and navigate to the “Go to Folder” search field.
Step #4: Checking Library Directories for CS:GO Support Files
In the final step, type “~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Counter-Strike Global Offensive/csgo/cfg” in the “Go to Folder” search field to get rid of CS:GO installation files in one click.
To clear any remaining CS:GO files on your Mac, check the “Caches”, “Logs”, “Preferences”, and “Cookies” subfolders in the “Library” folder. Once you’ve deleted all the leftover CS:GO files, clear the Trash. Finally, restart your Mac to let the new changes take effect.
Method #2: Uninstalling CS:GO via Steam
Another way to quickly and completely delete CS:GO from your Mac is by using the Steam app.
- Open Steam.
- Click “Library”.
- Right-click “Counter-Strike: Global Offensive”.
- Select “Properties”.
- Click “Local Files”.
- Click “Uninstall Game”.
Method #3: Uninstalling CS:GO Using the Terminal
You can uninstall CS:GO using Terminal software on your Mac with these steps.
- Open Finder.
- Click “Applications”.
- Click “Utilities”.
- Select “Terminal”.
- Type “sudo uninstall file://”.
- Drag the CS:GO icon into the Terminal.
- Press “Enter” and type your admin password to automatically uninstall CS:GO and its leftover files from your Mac.
Method #4: Uninstalling CS:GO Using Third-Party Software
It is possible to uninstall CS:GO entirely from your Mac using third-party software with the following steps.
- Download PowerMyMac.
- Launch PowerMyMac.
- Click “App Uninstaller”.
- Choose “SCAN”.
- Click “Counter-Strike”.
- Click “CLEAN”, and all the CS:GO-related files will be removed from your Mac.
Reinstalling CS:GO on Mac
Do the following steps if you want to reinstall CS:GO on your Mac after uninstalling the game.
- Open Safari, head to the Steam website, and download the Steam Client app.
- Go to the .dmg installation file location and drag its icon to the “Applications” folder.
- Open the Steam client and log in with the associated account details.
- Select the “Store” option and search “Counter-Strike: Global Offensive”.
- Select the CS:GO tile, click “Play Game”, and click “Next” to install the game.
- Launch the game from the “Applications” folder or the Dock, and you’re all set to play CS:GO!
In this guide, we’ve discussed how to uninstall CS:GO on your Mac. We have also discussed a quick way to reinstall the game if you ever need to play it again.
Hopefully, your issue is resolved in this article, and you can now remove any Steam game from macOS without difficulty.