AirPods have become the defacto standard for in-ear audio if you have an iOS/Apple device. That said, unpairing your AirPods can be a pain, mainly because your AirPods remain connected to all devices under your Apple ID’s umbrella.
To Unpair your AirPods, do to following.
1. Open the Settings application on your iOS device.
2. Head to “Bluetooth” and tap on the info (“i”) icon beside your AirPods’ name.
3. Tap “Forget This Device”.
In this article, we are going to list down all the ways you can use to unpair your Apple AirPods from compatible Apple devices.
Resetting Your AirPods
The simplest way of unpairing your AirPods is resetting them, as it not only removes your device but can act as a cure to some of the problems you might be encountering with your AirPods. For instance, one of the AirPods is not working, them not charging, etc.
To reset your AirPods, follow these steps.
- Place your AirPods inside their charging case.
- Wait for 30-40 seconds.
- Open the charging case and wait for your AirPods to appear on your home screen.
- On your device, head to Settings > “Bluetooth” > “Your AirPods” > “Forget This Device”.
- Hold the button behind your case while your lid remains open for 15-20 seconds.
- You should now see the lights flashing amber, then white.
After following these steps, your AirPods can now be connected to any other device and are unbound from your Apple ID.
Resetting your AirPods will remove all devices connected with your AirPods, including the ones you currently use.
Unpairing AirPods From macOS
If you decide to unpair your AirPods from your Mac, you can do that by following these five simple steps.
- Click the Apple icon at the top-left portion of your screen and head to System Preferences.
- Click “Bluetooth” to access all your paired devices.
- In the “Devices” section, choose your AirPods.
- Click “Remove”.
- Once the confirmation prompt pops up, tap “Remove” again, and you are done.
Unpairing AirPods From Apple TV
Like the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac, you can connect your AirPods to your Apple TV, although it’s rare to see someone connecting their AirPods with it.
Unpairing your AirPods is similar to connecting them to your Apple TV and is based on four simple steps.
- Launch the Settings app and scroll down to “Remote and Devices”.
- Click “Bluetooth” and select your AirPods from the devices list.
- Tap “Forget Device”.
- Tap “Forget Device” once again to confirm.
Unpairing AirPods From Apple Watch
Unpairing your AirPods from your Apple Watch will remove it permanently, and if you decide to use these two devices together, you have to pair the Apple Watch and AirPods manually.
Moreover, there are two ways of disconnecting your AirPods from your Apple Watch. One’s a temporary solution, and the other is permanent.
- Tap your screen or press the Digital Crown to wake your Apple Watch.
- Swipe up to access the Control Panel.
- Scroll down and tap the AirPlay icon.
- Select “Apple Watch”, and your AirPods will be temporarily disconnected from your Apple Watch.
The more permanent way to disconnect your AirPods is this.
- Press your Digital Crown to enter the menu and tap the Settings icon.
- Scroll down until you see “Bluetooth” and tap it.
- Tap the info (“i”) icon next to your AirPods and select “Forget Device”.
- To confirm your action, tap “Forget Device” again.
Unpairing AirPods From Android Devices
You can unpair your AirPods from any Android device in two different ways. Here is the first.
- Unlock your Android device.
- Scroll down to access the Control Panel.
- Tap the Bluetooth icon.
- This will turn off your device’s Bluetooth, preventing your AirPods from establishing a connection.
If you desire to unpair your AirPods permanently from your Android device, you can do that by doing the following.
- Unlock your Android device.
- Enter the Settings app by tapping the Settings icon or the control panel.
- Tap “Bluetooth” to access the list of the devices connected with your phone.
- Find your AirPods and tap the gear icon next to it.
- Tap “Forget Device”, and you are done.
Unpairing your AirPods from any Apple device is necessary if you plan to sell it. AirPods are connected through your Apple ID and remain connected; the buyer would have access to your AirPods. But, if you plan to sell your AirPods, we suggest you reset them as it is more convenient than unpairing them from every device.