Apple TV lets you swipe, tap and use the Siri Remote to navigate menus, play games, and enjoy movies and TV shows. The remote can be awkward and sometimes does not work well when paired with the device. Therefore, unpairing it can resolve the issue to enable you to use it seamlessly.
You can unpair the Apple TV remote by holding down the Menu and Left arrow button for six seconds until the unlink icon appears on the TV. You can also try disconnecting it from the Apple TV menu by navigating to “Settings”> “General”> “Remotes and Devices”> “Unpair Apple Remote”.
Apple TV uses Bluetooth to pair its remote, most of which can easily be paired. However, it can be challenging to unpair them when they are no longer needed.
Therefore, we have written a comprehensive guide on unpair Apple TV remotes to help you escape the troubles you might be facing.
Types of Apple TV Remotes
Apple TV remotes can be confusing. There are many different versions, some of which have other features and buttons. Let us walk you through all the types of Apple TV remotes available.
Apple TV Remote (4th generation) – This is Apple’s first-ever remote with touch controls that can be used for playing games, scrolling through lists, controlling your TV, and more.
Siri Remote – The Siri Remote is a small, black rectangle with a touch surface on top and a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope.
Apple TV Remote (3rd generation) – It is similar to the traditional TV remotes with a built-in accelerometer so that things happen onscreen when you shake or wave it around.
Unpairing Apple TV Remote
Don’t know how to unpair the Apple TV remote? We will ensure that our three easy methods with step-by-step instructions will help you do this task quickly without much effort.
Method #1: From the Apple TV Menu
The Apple TV remote must be nearby and connected to the TV to unpair it from the Apple TV’s settings. To unpair Apple TV from the menu options, follow these steps:
- Turn on Apple TV.
- Press down the Touch Screen of the remote to navigate to the “Settings”.
- Now tap “General” and select “Remotes and Devices” from the menu.
- Select the remote you wish to unpair and tap “Unpair Apple TV Remote”.
- Once unpaired, you can see the broken chain-link icon over the remote icon on your Apple TV.
Method #2: Unpairing Using the Apple TV Remote
You can quickly unpair the Apple TV remote by pointing it towards the TV and following these steps:
- Now press the “Menu” and “Left Arrow” buttons simultaneously for six seconds.
- Keep them pressed until you see the unpaired icon over the remote icon on the Apple TV.
- Your Apple TV is successfully unpaired.
The above method is exclusively for the white and aluminum Apple TV Remote (3rd, 2nd, and 1st generations).
Method #3: Unpairing Siri Remote
Unlike other Apple TV remotes, you cannot unpair the Siri Remote. However, you can go through a few pairing instructions to reset it. To do so, follow these steps:
- Turn on Apple TV.
- Now press the “Menu” and “Volume Down” buttons for five seconds.
- Next, you will soon see the Apple TV status light turn on and off.
- Release the buttons when it shows a “Connection Lost” popup.
- The remote will restart soon and is automatically connected to the Apple TV.
Configuring A Universal Remote for Apple TV
The Apple TV remote is pretty intuitive, but remotes are something to be lost or damaged quickly. So you are often shorthanded on buying a new one and might be looking for alternatives.
Thus, you would want to control the TV with universal remotes. This is because configuring a universal remote to operate the Apple TV is easy and can be done in the following way:
- Turn on your Apple TV and press down the touch surface to navigate to the “Settings” option.
- Using the remote navigational keys, select “General” and then “Remote and Devices”.
- Select “Learn Remote”.
- Now select “Start” and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once you have done all the steps, your universal remote is ready to work with your Apple TV.
In this guide on unpair Apple TV Remote, we have discussed the different types and generations of Apple TV Remote and explored three ways to complete the unpairing process. In addition, we also explained how to configure a universal remote to operate it with your Apple TV.
We hope you can now unpair your Apple TV Remote and solve the issue you are facing to continue your entertainment.