All your hardware, be it PC equipment or laptop drivers, need regular updates to function smoothly. Linksys routers are no different.
Router updates in the form of firmware are essential for enhancing the functionality and fixing the bugs responsible for deteriorating the performance of your router.
Updating the Linksys router is an uncomplex process. You can easily update your Linksys router by enabling auto-updates and clicking the “Check for Updates” option. Moreover, you can opt for manual installation.
In this article, we will discuss extensively updating Linksys routers. We will describe how to update Linksys router. Read on to learn about them in detail.
How To Update a Linksys Router
You can update a Linksys router in two methods. We will discuss them in detail. Go through the steps mentioned to update the router successfully.
Method #1: Check for Updates
In this method, you need to go to the web interface of Linksys and look for any available updates. Here’s how you can do it.
If you have not created an account before, open this link to access Linksys router Settings.
- Open your browser.
- Go to this link to open Linksys Server Account.
- Log in to your account and go to “Connectivity”.
- Look for the “Basic” tab under the “Firmware Update” section.
- Click on “Check for Updates”.
- You will note a loading bar with “Checking for Updates”. You can download and install the firmware update if the router detects an update.
A message stating “No updates found.” will appear if there are no available updates. It means that you’re already using the latest firmware version.
- A dialog box will pop up upon clicking on the firmware update. Select “Yes” to start the download process.
- Once the installation process is complete, the “Router Reboot” screen will open; press “OK”.
Your Linksys router will restart, and the firmware update completion prompt will appear. Click on “OK”.
You must not close the browser window or turn off the router when the router is downloading or installing the updates. Any of these actions will corrupt the update files and the firmware of your Linksys router.
Method #2: Auto Updates
You can also set your router for automatic updates. By enabling auto-updates, you will have a notification of the latest firmware available for your Linksys router. Below are the steps to do it.
- Open your default web browser.
- Launch the Linksys Server Account by entering this link in the address bar.
- Go to the “Firmware Update” section of the “Connectivity” section.
- Check the tickbox beside “Automatic Updates”.
- Select “Apply” to save the changes.
You can also access Linksys Server Account by “192.168.1.1” or “http://myrouter.local” URL. Just paste any of these two links into your browser’s address bar and hit enter. Opt for this if you don’t have a Linksys Server Account.
Once you have set the auto-updates, the router will notify you of any update after going online. Proceed with the following steps.
- The “Router Requires Update” screen will open. Choose “Update Now”.
- From the following “Update Firmware” screen, click on “Yes”.
- Select “OK” from the “Router Reboot” dialog box.
- Upon restart, the update process is complete. Click “OK” to close the “Firmware Update Complete” screen.
Keep your router on throughout the process, and do not close the browser tab.
If you want to know about the updates, go through the release notes of the updates. You can access it from the products page of Linksys router.
Method #3: Manual Update
If you are having any issues with the above two methods, you can choose to manually install the updates in your Linksys router. Here’s how to do this.
- Download the latest firmware update of your Linksys router. Follow this link for guidance on your product.
- Log in to Linksys Server Account.
- Go to “Connectivity” > “Firmware Update” > “Basic”.
- Locate the “Choose file” button, and press it.
- Select the downloaded update file and click “Start”.
- Repeat 6-9 from method #2.
Updating a Linksys router requires you to either auto or manual download the latest update. After going through this article, you know all the processes and prerequisites of updating your Linksys router. However, remember not to turn off your router or close the browser tab.