Keeping your Android smartwatch up-to-date has many benefits and shouldn’t feel like a chore. It can help fix bugs that would otherwise lower the performance of the watch. Updating your Android Wear (Wear OS) can also protect you from hackers, introduce new features and enhance the overall usability of your watch. But, how do you do that?
There are two methods to update your Android Wear. Method one involves getting over-the-air (OTA) updates, meaning that you download the updates and install them locally on your watch. You can also enable OTA updates to happen automatically any time updates are available. The other method is to download updates from the Play Store.
Both are easy to implement, as you’ll learn below. Read on if you want to learn how to update your Wear OS to keep your watch running optimally.
2 Methods To Update Your Android Wear
Method #1: Get Over-the-Air Updates
If you didn’t know, your Android smartwatch can also receive OTA updates directly, just like it happens to smartphones. That means you download and install the updates locally to keep the software up-to-date.
Normally, Wear OS updates should happen automatically. However, sometimes the automatic updates aren’t enabled in your system and, therefore, won’t install on their own; you have to download them yourself.
When you check for updates, your watch will download and install them if they are available. If none is available, then your watch is up-to-date. Here are the steps to follow:
- Wake your watch if you can’t see the screen.
- Connect your Android smartwatch to a WiFi or cellular network. Your watch won’t download updates unless it’s connected to the internet.
- Press the power button to open the “Apps” list.
- Tap on the “Settings” app on your Android smartwatch.
- Scroll down and click on the “System” option.
- Click on the “About” option.
- Scroll down and tap on the “System Updates” option.
Once you tap on this option, your Wear OS will check for updates. If any new updates are available, tap “Download and Install.” But, if your watch is already running the latest software edition, you’ll see a message saying, “System Is Up to Date.”
As we’ve mentioned, system updates ought to happen automatically. That means that your Wear OS smartwatch will download and install updates by itself as they become available, and you don’t need to worry about anything. If you’ve not enabled automatic updates on your watch, you can do so by following the steps below:
- Connect the Wear OS watch to WiFi.
- Press the power button to access the “Apps” list.
- Choose the “Settings” app.
- Turn on the “Auto-Update” app.
Only smartwatches running Wear OS 2 or later can get software updates. System updates usually are installed overnight while your Wear OS smartwatch is charging. Ensure your watch remains on while it charges. You also need to connect it to the internet and stay logged in to your Google account for updates to take place.
Method #2: Download Updates From Play Store
You can also download the latest Android wear updates via the Play Store app on your smartwatch. These are the steps to follow:
- Connect your smartwatch to WiFi or your cellular network and stay signed in to your Google account.
- Press the power button on the watch to open the apps list.
- Click on the “Play Store” app.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen and click on “My Apps.”
- You’ll see “Updates Available” if any updates are available. Choose the ones you want to download.
- Alternatively, you can tap “Update All” to download all the updates available.
You’ll have to wait for the installation of updates to complete. Restart your Wear OS smartwatch once that happens to allow the updates to take effect. If you can’t see “Updates available,” know that your watch is up-to-date.
Keeping your Android Wear up-to-date has many benefits. It’s also a great way to ensure that your smartwatch stays away from bugs that can impact its performance. You should update your Wear OS regularly to ensure that the watch is always running the latest software updates.
In our article on updating your Android Wear, we’ve described two methods to update your Wear OS; get over-the-air (OTA) updates and download updates from the Play store app.
We’ve learned that OTA updates can happen automatically, which is convenient because you don’t need to do a lot of work. You only need to turn on the auto-update option in the Settings tab, and your watch will download and install updates as soon as they become available. Please note that only watches running Wear OS 2 can receive updates later.
We hope you’ve got the help you need to update your Wear OS smartwatch. As you’ve probably noticed, it’s very easy to do it!