In the industry of smart TVs, LG is one of the top brands. But the first thing you need to know about LG Smart TVs is that you can only install apps available in the LG store. And secondly, most of these apps release updates frequently. While these updates are great as they enhance the app’s functionality, one challenge many users face is how to update their apps on the LG smart TV?
Ideally, the apps on an LG Smart TV are meant to be updated automatically. But if they are not, you can update it manually in the LG store. Remember to connect the TV to an internet connection to update the app.
If you do not update the apps, you may not be able to use them or enjoy certain features available in the update. Hence, whenever there is an update, ensure you update it.
Learn the steps on how to go about all these in this guide.
Step To Update LG Smart TV Apps
Generally, LG Smart TVs come with the option to update apps automatically. Once this option is turned off, it means you have to update apps yourself or turn this option back on manually. As you may have already picked up, there are two main ways to update apps on an LG smart TV.
If you are having issues updating apps, we recommend checking if a firmware update is available for your LG smart TV. If there is one, you should update the firmware first before you try updating the app.
Method #1: Manually Update Apps
You may have to update the apps manually if you use a brand new LG Smart TV. This is because LG ships out their smart TV with the automatic update app turned off. So, if you notice your apps are outdated, you have to update them manually.
There is nothing wrong with updating your LG Smart TV apps manually. Many people prefer to update their TV apps manually as it gives them control over what they update and what they don’t want to update.
Here’s how to manually update the apps.
- Turn on the smart TV and click the home button on the remote.
- Click the LG Content Store to open it.
- Select “Apps”.
- Click “My Apps” to view the list of apps you have installed on your LG Smart TV.
- Select an app to see if an update is available; click the “Update” button to install the new updates.
- If you want to update all the apps at once, click the button “Update All” in the “My Apps” section.
Method #2: Automatically Update Apps
If you don’t find updating apps manually on your LG Smart TV to be fun, you can automate the process. When you automate the process, anytime there is an update, the app automatically updates itself on your LG Smart TV without you going through the hassle of going to the LG Content Store.
Here’s how to automatically update the apps.
- Turn on your LG Smart TV, and press the home button on the remote.
- Click the “Settings” option and then click “All Settings’.
- Select “General” from the list of options in the Settings menu, and click the “About This TV” option.
- Scroll down and check the box next to the option “Allow Automatic Updates”.
How To Update LG Smart TV Firmware
If you are still having issues updating the firmware of your LG Smart TV, you might need to consider updating its firmware. Below we enumerate two easy ways you can go about updating your LG Smart TV firmware.
Method #1: Using Settings on the Smart TV
The easiest method to update the firmware on an LG Smart TV is with Settings. However, the steps may slightly differ depending on the OS of your TV. However, below are the steps to follow to update the firmware using Settings on a WebOS LG Smart TV.
Here’s how to use the Settings app to update the firmware of an LG smart TV.
- Connect your TV to the internet via Wi-Fi, press the home button, and click “Settings” in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
- At the bottom right, you will see the “All Settings” option; click it.
- Click the “General” option on your screen’s left-hand side and tap “About This TV”.
- Check the box next to the option “Allow Automatic Updates”, and click the “Check for Update” option.
If an update is available, your LG Smart TV will begin to download it and automatically download subsequent updates.
Method #2: Using a USB Pen
If you cannot update the firmware of your LG Smart TV using Method #1, then we recommend you use a USB pen. You must download the update on your PC and load it into a USB drive.
Here’s how to use a USB drive to update the firmware on an LG Smart TV.
- Go to the LG support website and enter your smart TV’s model number.
- Select the firmware version on the website and select “Download This File”.
- When the download is complete, copy it into the USB drive without making any changes.
- Plug the USB drive into your TV and let it detect it.
- Open the “Setup and Support” menu on your TV, select “Install” from the file, and navigate to the USB drive.
- Select the file you downloaded and allow the TV to update.
Conclusively, if you have a fast enough internet connection, it should only take a few minutes to update any app on your LG smart TV. If you don’t update the apps, it may affect the app’s functionality. So, ensure you constantly update your apps on your smart TV.