Thanks to smart TVs, it has become easier to stream your desired TV shows, movies, and games on a single device. Smart TVs come with many built-in apps to let you stream your favorite shows and games. Vizio is one such TV that has gained popularity as one of the best smart TVs.
Just like your computer and smartphone apps, you need to keep the apps on your smart TV updated to get the most of them. But if you are a Vizio TV owner, updating the apps is a little different from other smart TVs.
Read on to find out how to update apps on Vizio smart TV and why it is important to do so.
Why You Should Update the Apps on Your Vizio Smart TV
If you have not updated the apps on your Vizio smart TV, you will notice that they are not opening properly or not working as they should. The outdated apps on Vizio Smart TVs become unresponsive as they may have some underlying errors and bugs.
So when you update these apps, the latest updates would address all the minor errors and bugs, and your apps would start functioning normally. Read on to find a step-by-step guide on updating apps on Vizio smart TV.
How to Update Apps on Vizio Smart TV
There are two kinds of Vizio Smart TVs. Read on to learn how to update the apps on each of these types.
Vizio SmartCast TV Platform
The Vizio SmartCast TV platform comes in two versions:
- The Vizio SmartCast Platform has built-in apps that you cannot install or update manually. The provider automatically updates the apps once a new version of the app is released on the server. So you don’t have to worry about updating the apps on this type of Vizio Smart TV.
- The Vizio SmartCast Platform with no apps does not come with any pre-installed apps. So you have to cast the apps from your PC or smartphone. And since there are no apps on these TVs, you don’t need to update any apps. Instead, you will just have to update them on the device you are casting them from (PC or smartphone).
VIA (Vizio Internet Apps) TVs
The VIA TVs by Vizio also comes in two versions:
- VIA Plus models on which you can install or delete apps. However, to update the apps on these models, you will have to rely on the developers as the update starts as soon as your TV is connected to the internet.
- While on the VIA (Vizio Internet App) TVs, you can add or delete the apps and even update them manually using the Vizio App Store. Moreover, you can also update the TV firmware on these models, which also, in turn, updates all the apps.
Here’s how you can update the apps on your Vizio Internet App (VIA) TVs:
- Click on the “V” button on your VIA TV remote, and the Vizio App Store will open up.
- Navigate to the app tile that you want to update.
- Press the yellow button on your remote.
- If you see an “Update” button, click on it to update the app.
- If there is no Update button, click on the “Delete App” button to delete the app.
- Now restart the Vizio App Store and reinstall the app that you just deleted to install the latest version of the app.
You can also automatically update the Vizio TV apps by simply updating the TV’s firmware. To update the firmware of your Vizio Internet App (VIA) TV, follow these steps:
- Go to the “Settings” on your TV and click on “System”.
- Next, select the “Check for Updates” option under “System”.
- If a new update is available, a confirmation prompt will open up.
- Select “Yes”.
Once your TV’s firmware is updated, all the apps on your TV will be automatically updated.
In this guide, we shared how to update apps on Vizio Smart TV. We hope you are now able to easily update all the apps on your Vizio TV. You must keep all the apps on your Vizio Smart TV for them to function properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can update the Vizio Internet App (VIA) TV apps, but you cannot do so on the Vizio Smartcast TVs.
Using the Vizio App Store, you can add apps to your Vizio TV. But if you have a Vizio Smartcast TV, you cannot add any apps. You will have to cast the apps using your PC or smartphone.