When you open a website on your Android phone and desktop, you’ll see the difference in appearance. Sometimes, you can view complete information, menu, and buttons when viewing a specific website using the desktop version but not on the phone. This is mainly because website developers optimize websites to fit a phone screen and improve site navigation for users who primarily view websites using their phones.
Even though the mobile version of a website helps improve navigation, it can sometimes lack some desktop version features. In this case, enabling the desktop version to access limited features on your Android device is best.
To view the desktop version on Android, launch your device’s web browser. Tap on three vertical dots at the top-right corner of the appearing browser page. Next, a drop-down menu will appear. Scroll down the menu until you see the Desktop site option. Click on it. The web browser page will reload, and you can now view any website’s desktop version on your Android device.
To learn more about viewing the desktop version on Android, read this article to the end.
Overview of Viewing Desktop Version on Android
Mobile website versions help the user navigate the website better, but this only works if the website has a proper design. Sometimes, mobile versions have missing features and buttons, meaning you can’t always access all the information you need with this version.
Other times, websites that aren’t optimized for mobile viewing leave large blank spaces on the screen, have smaller or illegible fonts and have a poorly-designed interface that leaves the user with no choice but to use the desktop version.
Some site designs are only legible on desktops, not mobile devices. If, for example, you are trying to access a government website not optimized for mobile devices, you need to enable the desktop version on your phone. This way, you can view the website’s entire menu and buttons.
Next, we delve into the exact steps to view the desktop version of a site on your Android device.
Viewing Desktop Version Website on Android
Depending on the web browser, viewing the desktop version of a site on your Android device only takes a few simple steps.
Follow the steps below to enable the desktop version on some major web browsers available to Android users.
Method #1: Chrome
Follow the steps below to view the desktop version if you are using Chrome as your default web browser:
- Launch Chrome on your Android device.
- Tap on the three vertical dots at the top-right corner of the page.
- A drop-down menu will appear.
- Scroll down the menu until you see a “Desktop site” option with a desktop icon. Click on it.
- The web page will reload.
- Enter a website URL on Chrome’s search bar, then click enter.
- On the search results, click on the web page.
- The resulting website interface will be the desktop version.
Method #2: Firefox
Firefox is another popular web browser among Android users. The process of viewing the desktop version on Firefox is similar to Chrome. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Firefox on your Android device.
- Tap on the three vertical dots at the top-right corner of the web page.
- Scroll to the “Request Desktop Site” option on the drop-down menu and tap on it.
- Enter the URL for the website you want to view.
- Click on the specific website in the search results.
- You can now view the site in the desktop version.
Method #3: Brave
Here’s how to view the desktop version on Android if you use the Brave browser:
- Open the Brave browser on your Android device.
- On this web page, tap on the three vertical dots at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- On the pop-up menu, select the tab “Desktop” site.
- Enter the URL for a specific website
- Click on the website link in the search results.
- View the website in the desktop version.
The process is also straightforward if you wish to disable the desktop version after some time. Open your Android device’s web browser and then click on the three vertical buttons at the top-right corner of the screen.
Next, scroll down the menu until you see the Desktop site tab. Uncheck the box next to the option. Enter any website URL to ensure site settings have defaulted to mobile view.
As you’ve learned, viewing the desktop version on Android only takes a few simple moves. To enable the desktop version of your Android device, open your web browser, then click on three dots at the top-right corner of your screen. On the appearing menu, select the desktop version tab, and you can now view any website using the desktop version.
To return to mobile view, uncheck the box next to the desktop version on the browser settings menu.