In this article, we will guide you through the process of installing the correct driver for the AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet adapter on an Ubuntu system. This process involves checking the current driver, installing the correct one if it’s not already installed, and troubleshooting any issues that might arise.
To install the correct driver for the AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet adapter on Ubuntu, you need to check if the driver is already installed using the
modinfo command. If it’s not installed, you can download the driver from the official ASIX website, extract the file, navigate to the directory in the terminal, and run
sudo make install to install the driver. Verify the installation using the
lsmod | grep ax88 command. If you encounter any issues, try troubleshooting steps such as checking the connection, updating your system, and searching for known issues or driver updates.
Checking the Current Driver
Before we begin the installation process, it’s important to check if the correct driver is already installed on your system. The driver for the AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet adapter is
To check if this driver is installed, open your terminal and type the following command:
If the driver is installed, this command will return some output. If it’s not installed, you will see an error message.
Installing the AX88179 Driver
ax88179_178a driver is not installed on your system, you can install it by following these steps:
- Download the driver from the official ASIX website. You can find the driver here.
- Extract the downloaded file. You can do this by right-clicking on the file and selecting “Extract Here”.
- Open your terminal and navigate to the directory where the file was extracted. You can do this by using the
cdcommand followed by the path to the directory. For example:
- Once you’re in the correct directory, run the following command to install the driver:
sudo make install
This command will compile and install the driver. The
sudo prefix is used to run the command with root privileges, while
make install is a common command used to compile and install software on Linux systems.
Verifying the Driver Installation
After the driver has been installed, you should verify that it’s loaded correctly. You can do this by running the following command in your terminal:
lsmod | grep ax88
If the driver is loaded correctly, it should appear in the output of this command.
If you encounter any issues while installing the driver, here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:
- Make sure that the adapter is properly connected to the USB-C port.
- Check if the adapter works on other machines. If it does, then the issue might be specific to your machine.
- Update your system to the latest version, as newer versions of Ubuntu may have better driver support.
- Search for any known issues or bug reports related to the AX88179 adapter and your specific Ubuntu version.
- Consider reaching out to the manufacturer or checking their website for any driver updates or support resources.
We hope this guide has been helpful in installing the correct driver for the AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet adapter on Ubuntu. If you have any questions or need further assistance, feel free to leave a comment below.
modinfo ax88179_178a command returns an error message, it means that the driver is not installed on your system. You will need to follow the steps outlined in the article to download and install the correct driver.
It is recommended to use the
ax88179_178a driver specifically designed for the AX88179 adapter. Using a different driver may not provide optimal performance or compatibility.