If you are an iPhone user, you will eventually need to know your device’s MAC address for privacy and prevent others from accessing your internet connection. In such cases, learning about the meaning and purpose of the MAC Address can be highly beneficial.
It is possible to find your MAC Address iPhone by navigating to “Settings” > “Wi-Fi” and tapping on the info icon next to your connected Wi-Fi network. You will find your MAC Address next to the Wi-Fi Address option. You can also see your MAC Address next to “Wi-Fi Address” under the “About” menu in “Settings” > “General”.
We took the time to write an easy guide about the definition and purpose of the MAC address and methods for finding a MAC address on your iPhone with quick step-by-step methods.
What Is MAC Address on iPhone?
The MAC Address, also known as Media Access Control Address, works as an identifier for the hardware parts of your device. This address is unique for all the devices as each manufacturer assigns a different one to its products. You can easily recognize your iOS device, among others, via its MAC Address.
The MAC Address is a 12-digit code; a colon usually separates the two-digit combinations. This code is needed for network protocols such as “TCP/IP” to function and works in privacy improvement.
Methods for Finding MAC Address iPhone
If you are curious about what is your MAC address on your iPhone, our five step-by-step methods will help you find this out without any trouble.
Method #1: Using Wi-Fi Settings
Here’s how you can find the MAC address on your iPhone via Wi-Fi Settings:
- First, go to “Settings” on your iPhone.
- Choose “Wi-Fi”.
- Tap on the “Info” icon next to your present Wi-Fi network.
- You will find your MAC Address against the Wi-Fi Address option.
If the” Private Address” option is switched on, you will see a MAC address used with your present Wi-Fi network. Turn off the “Private Address” option to find your iPhone’s actual MAC Address.
Method #2: Using General Settings
Another way of finding the MAC address of your iPhone is through General Settings. To do this:
- Navigate to “Settings” > “General” on your iPhone.
- Choose the “About” option.
- Scroll down and find your MAC Address against the “Wi-Fi Address” field.
The MAC address you will see next to the Wi-Fi address under About the General Settings will be the actual MAC Address of your device only if you are disconnected from a Wi-Fi Network.
Method #3: Using Router’s App
If the Wi-Fi network you are connected to has a dedicated app, you can check your iPhone’s MAC address. To do this:
- Open the “Router” app on your iPhone.
- Go to the “Device” details page inside the router’s app.
- You will find a list of connected devices on the page.
- Scroll through the list and find your iPhone device on it.
- Tap on your device, and you will see your MAC ID.
In some of the Router Apps, the MAC Address is usually labeled as a “Wi-Fi Address” or “MAC ID”.
Method #4: Using Smart Home App
You can also find your iPhone’s MAC Address using the “Smart Home” app by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open your “Smart Home” app.
- From the list of linked appliances on the app, select your “Router”.
- You will see a list of all the devices that use a router for connecting to the Internet.
- Find your iPhone device from the list and tap on it.
- Now, go to the “Device Info” screen and find your iPhone’s “MAC Address”.
Method #5: Using Router’s Admin Panel on Web
Another method of finding out the MAC Address iPhone is via your router’s admin panel on the web. To do so:
- First, find out your “local IP address” that comes with your router. If not, get in touch with the manufacturer of your network’s router and find the IP address.
- Next, access your router’s “Admin Console” on the web.
- Under the “Admin” menu, navigate to “Device Management”.
- Finally, find out iPhone and see the “MAC address” next to it.
The steps for accessing the router’s admin panel vary depending on the brand, internet service provider, and admin panel gateway, among other factors. So, there are no fixed steps for this.
In this guide on what is my MAC address iPhone, we have looked into the meaning of the MAC Address and its importance. We have also discussed multiple methods for finding the MAC Address of the iPhone from “Wi-Fi Settings”, “General Settings”, “Router’s App”, etc.
Hopefully, now you know how to find your device’s unique 12-digit code without wasting time.