Over the years, Apple has improved the usability of the iPhone by adding features that solve even minor problems that users experience. One such feature is raise to wake.
Raise to wake is an iPhone feature that automatically turns on your screen when you pick your iPhone from a flat surface. This feature works with iPhone 6 and later models and those running on iOS 10 or above. This feature is helpful if you are multitasking but still need to glance at your iPhone occasionally to see notifications. It can also come in handy at night because you only need to raise your iPhone for the screen to turn on.
To learn more about the raise to wake feature on iPhone and how to enable and disable this feature, read this article to the end.
Overview of Raise To Wake on iPhone
The raise to wake feature is among the overlooked but useful features on iPhones. This feature can come in handy when you are in a room with little to no light. In this case, you only need to lift your iPhone for your screen to light up.
You can enable this feature if you have a busy day but still want to keep up with work, friends, and colleagues. You can simply lift your iPhone to glance at incoming notifications without tapping the home button.
You’ll also appreciate this feature if you anticipate nighttime messages and notifications. You can place your iPhone next to your bedside table and lift it to light the screen when you receive a text or alert.
Next, we delve into the exact steps to enable and disable raise to wake on your iPhone and quick fixes you can try when this feature is not working.
Enabling Raise To Wake on iPhone: Step-by-Step Guide
Here’s how to enable the raise to wake feature on your iPhone:
- Tap on the home button to unlock your iPhone.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Under settings, scroll to “Display and Brightness” and tap on it.
- Next, slide the toggle next to “Raise to Wake” from “OFF” to “ON.”
- Lock your iPhone, then place it on a flat surface.
- Lift it to see if the screen automatically turns on. If the screen lights up, raise to wake is working well.
Follow the steps below to disable raise to wake:
- Go to your iPhone’s Settings.
- Scroll to “Display and Settings.”
- Slide the toggle next to “Raise to Wake” from “ON” to “OFF.”
- Check if the feature is off by placing your iPhone on a flat surface and then raising it. The screen should remain off.
Quick Fixes for Raise To Wake Not Working
Sometimes, you may encounter problems with the raise to wake feature, including the feature only working occasionally or not working at all. Here are some solutions you can try.
Method #1: Reboot Your iPhone
Sometimes, you need to reboot your iPhone to get settings and apps working well. If your raise to wake feature is not working, try rebooting your iPhone using the steps below:
- Press and hold the side and volume button until you see the power-off slider.
- Drag the slider. Wait for a few seconds for your iPhone to turn off.
- Turn the iPhone back on by pressing and holding the side button until the Apple logo appears.
- Next, go back to Settings > Display and Brightness > Raise to Wake to see if the feature is on.
- If the feature is on, lift your iPhone to see if the screen automatically turns on.
Method #2: Update to the Latest iOS Version
Updating to the latest iOS version is an excellent way to refresh your iPhone’s system and restore apps and settings that are not working. Here’s how to update iOS when your raise to wake feature fails to work:
- Click on your iPhone’s Settings and tap on the “General” tab.
- Scroll to the “Software Update” tab and then click on it.
- If there’s an “Install Now” option. Click on it.
- Give your iPhone time to complete installation. The installation process can take a few minutes to an hour, depending on your internet connection speed.
- After the update installation is complete, your iPhone will automatically restart.
- Go back to Settings > Display and Brightness > Raise to wake to enable the feature.
Method #3: Reset All Settings
If the above methods fail, try resetting all settings. Please note that resetting settings will rest your VPN, Wi-Fi networks, and Cellular settings but will not delete apps or other information. Here’s how to do it:
- Open iPhone Settings, then click on “General.”
- Tap on Reset > Reset all Settings, then click on Reset All Settings again to confirm the choice.
- After resetting all settings, enable the raise to wake feature and see if it’s working.
As you’ve learned, raise to wake on iPhone is a feature that turns on your screen after you raise your iPhone from a flat surface. To enable this feature on your iPhone, go to Settings > Display and Brightness > Raise to wake.