Most computers have monitor sizes between 13 inches and 43 inches. However, there is no standard measurement a computer screen must have. So, some monitors may have a wider screen while others may have a taller one. So, how can you tell the size of your monitor?
The size of any monitor is the diagonal length of the screen. You can use a measuring tape to measure its diagonal length in inches. Note that when measuring the monitor, do not include the bezel or frame.
So, irrespective of whether the monitor has a longer length or height than other monitors, the screen’s diagonal length is the monitor’s size. If you’d like to know the size of your monitor, there are a few ways to go about it. Keep reading to learn more about the size of the monitors.
How To Measure the Size of Your Monitor
You can determine the size of your monitor (i.e., the diagonal measurement) depending on what you know about the computer. While the easiest way to go about it is to take the model number of the monitor and do a quick Google search on it. However, if you wouldn’t want to do that, you can determine the size of your monitor using the image area or aspect ratio.
You can get your monitor’s image area and aspect ratio using measuring tape or ruler and some simple math. Below, we elaborated more on the steps to measure the size of your monitor in three easy steps.
Method #1: Using Its Diagonal Measurement
The first method we will discuss in this guide is how to use a measuring tape to measure the diagonal length of your monitor. Using this method to measure the size of your monitor is straightforward and quick. You don’t need to do any math or require any special knowledge.
Here’s how to measure the size of your monitor by measuring the diagonal length.
- Tap a piece of measuring tape and place one end at the top left or top right corner of your monitor screen.
- Do not place the measuring tape on the bezel or frame; the goal is to measure the screen size.
- Stretch the measuring tape to the bottom left corner of your screen if the other end is at the top right corner, or place the measuring tape at the bottom right if the other end is at the top left corner of your screen.
- Take a record of the measurement in inches, as that is your monitor size.
Method #2: Using Its Image Area
Another way you can measure your monitor’s size is with the screen’s image area. In most cases, the image area of the screen measured in square inches or square meters is often written on the monitor’s description.
However, if the image area of the monitor is not written anywhere, you can easily measure the image area and then find the size of the monitor using simple math.
Here’s how to measure your screen size using the image area.
- To find your monitor’s image area, measure the screen’s length and height in inches, and ensure you do not include the bezel when taking the measurement.
- Multiply the length by height; your monitor image area is the answer.
- To get the screen size with the image area, use the formulate D = √(A2/L2 + L2) or D = √( A2/H2 + H2).
Method #3: Using Its Aspect Ratio
Finally, it is also possible to determine the size of your monitor using the screen’s aspect ratio. For example, let’s consider a monitor with an aspect ratio of 16:9. The 16 represents the top and bottom of your screen, while the 9 represents the sides of your screen. Other common aspect ratios include 16:10, 5:3, 4:3, and so on. If you don’t know your monitor’s aspect ratio, you can measure it.
Here’s how to measure the size of your screen using aspect ratio.
- To find the aspect ratio of your monitor, use a measuring tape to measure the length and height of your monitor in inches.
- Ensure you do not include the frame or bezel of your monitor when taking the measurement.
- When you get the aspect ratio, square both numbers, add the two squares together, and then find the square root of the sum; whatever you get is the size of your monitor in inches.
There are online calculators you can also use to determine the size of your screen by measuring and inputting the length and height of your screen.
Summarily, the size of every monitor is always indicated on the monitor package. But if there is no way to check the screen size, you can always easily measure it with a measuring tape. Ensure that you do not include the bezel or frame when measuring your screen to get an accurate result.