Are you finding it hard to locate the trash option on your iPhone? You may need to empty the trash to optimize your iPhone, or maybe you wish to recover deleted files. Whatever the reason, knowing where the trash is on iPhone can be handy.
Sadly, there is no singular trash app on the iPhone, and you will have to go to various applications and delete their trash individually. Moreover, if you want to recover some files, you will need to install a third-party application or use the iTunes backup to do the job.
An iPhone has quite a different set of rules than other smartphones, making it unique. But don’t worry! We will take you step-by-step in this blog to help you empty the trash or recover the files you regret deleting. So, let’s start.
- Is There a Trash Bin To Empty On iPhone?
- How To Empty Trash on an iPhone
- How To Restore Deleted Files on an iPhone
Is There a Trash Bin To Empty On iPhone?
No, there is not. There is no integrated trash folder on the iPhone like a “Recycle Bin” on the computer. However, you can find the trash option in Notes, Mail, Photos, Contacts, and Messages.
Even in the trash folders of different apps like Notes, Mail, or Photos, the files are permanently deleted after 30 days. We recommend using backup software to store all the files and backing them up regularly.
How To Empty Trash on an iPhone
If you want to optimize your iPhone, your best bet is to empty the trash can. It may be a hurdle, but we will take you step-by-step to ensure the deleted files are gone forever.
Step #1: Removing Emails From the Mail
- Open the Mail app.
- Go to the desired account whose emails you wish to delete.
- Head to “Advanced Settings” > “Deleted Mailbox“.
- Tap on the trash button and click “Edit“.
- Select the emails you want to delete.
- Confirm to start the deletion.
You should note that the deletion process will take a while if you have a lot of emails being sent to the trash. If you want to delete all the emails, follow steps 1-4 and select “Trash All Mail“.
Step #2: Removing Photos From Trash on iPhone
- Open the Photos app.
- Go to the “Albums” option.
- Select the “Recently Deleted” folder.
- At the top-right corner, you will see the “Edit” option. Tap on it.
- Choose the photos that you want to delete.
- After selecting, click on “Delete All” in the bottom-left corner.
Step #3: Removing Notes From Trash on iPhone
- Launch the Notes app.
- Click on the arrow at the left corner of the screen.
- Select the “Recently Deleted” folder.
- Tap “Edit” at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Choose the notes you want to delete.
- Press “Delete All“.
All these files that you remove from the trash will be permanently deleted.
How To Restore Deleted Files on an iPhone
There are three methods to recover the deleted files on an iPhone. You may not find the trash option, but the iPhone has an alternative.
Method #1: Use the iTunes Backup
- Connect your iPhone with a PC.
- Open the iTunes app on your PC.
- On the left, there will be a phone icon. Click on it.
- On your right, tap the “Summary” tab.
- Once there, click on “Restore Backup“.
- Select an iTunes backup of the appropriate date and then tap on “Restore“.
- If your backup is password-protected, you must type the PIN.
Method #2: Use a Third-Party Software
You can use any third-party application to restore the deleted files on your iPhone. We recommend using one that has good reviews and has produced effective results.
Method #3: Use the iCloud Backup
This method will only work if you have previously backed up your data onto your iPhone. In addition, it will factory reset your iPhone.
- Open the Settings on your iPhone.
- Go to “General” > “Reset“.
- Click the “Erase All Content and Settings” option. Once erased, your iPhone will restart.
- Follow the instructions.
- Go to “Apps & Data“.
- Click the “Restore From the iCloud Backup” option.
- Select the file you want to restore. Tap on “Restore“.
iPhone may have neglected the fact that we needed a trash option, but it has created different alternatives that make it easier to track down the specific files you want to delete. However, emptying the trash can is far easier than restoring the deleted files. This is why we suggest backing up your data regularly. We hope our guide was clear and helpful enough to get you through the process.