Have you bought a new printer or started using one recently? There are so many things you probably need to familiarize yourself with. One of them is where to find WPS PIN.
WPS-compatible printers utilize WPS technology to establish a connection with other devices wirelessly. This technology is safe, secure, and faster than the conventional USB connection. You’ll see a prompt on your device’s screen to “enter the WPS PIN for your printer” whenever you want to create a connection.
So, where do you find this PIN to complete the printer setup? We have prepared a quick guide on that below. Keep reading.
What Is WPS PIN?
WPS stands for Wi-Fi Protected Setup. The WPS PIN is an 8-digit number generated by printers to enable a connection to a wireless network. Technically, it’s a standard network security code. The PIN works only with a wireless router or devices that utilize a password.
Where to Find WPS PIN on Printer
Find the WPS PIN on the control panel in most printers. Modern printers come with a large LED screen, and it’s there that you’ll find the PIN to complete the wireless connection.
Follow these steps:
- Turn on your printer.
- Click the “Settings” option on the control panel screen.
- Press the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Click on the “WPS PIN” button, and an 8-digit PIN (Something like 71417943) will appear on the screen.
You have limited time to enter the WPS PIN on your device before it expires – 90 seconds on average. This time may vary based on the printer model that you have.
How To Connect Your Printer To A Network Using WPS Technology
Method #1: Use WPS PIN
- Go to the “Control Panel” on your printer and press the wireless button. Click on the “Settings” option.
- Choose “Wi-Fi Protected Setup.” Follow the instructions appearing on your screen.
- You’ll be required to enter the PIN. Press on the PIN, and the WPS PIN will appear on the screen.
- Access the “Configuration Utility” or the software of the wireless router. Enter the WPS PIN to complete the setup.
- In “All Programs,” navigate to the “Printer Setup and Software.”
- Next, choose the “Connect a New Printer” option and proceed to install the “Network Printer Driver.”
After following all the above steps carefully, you should have set up your printer already. Now you can enjoy quality printing.
Method #2: Use WPS Push Button
- Go to the “Control Panel” on your printer.
- Press the “Wireless or Settings Button.” You should see a blue light on the printer blinking.
- Choose the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” and then follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select the “WPS button.” Similarly, press the “WPS button” on your router.
Now move to your printer and press “Continue” to connect to the wireless network. At this point, your printer should have established a connection.
Some printer models don’t have large digital screens/control panels. If yours doesn’t have a screen, you can resolve the WPS problem using the WPS Push Button by following these steps:
- Start by ensuring that you’ve turned ON your printer.
- Now press the “Wireless Button.” You should also see the blue light blinking.
- Choose the “Wi-Fi Protected Setup” on your printer.
- Select “Push-Button”.
- Go to your wireless router. You’ll find a WPS button on the backside.
- Press and hold this button for about 4 seconds. The WPS light will start to blink on the router.
Wait for about 3 seconds, and both the lights on the router and printer will stop blinking. Your printer should now have a connection with your network.
WPS technology enables printers to establish a connection with other devices wirelessly. You need to know where to find the WPS Pin to connect your printer with other devices.
It’s easy to find the WPS PIN on the control panel of your printer using the steps we’ve provided above. You can also find the WPS on the information sheet printed during the printer setup.
We’ve also talked about two methods of connecting your printer using the WPS technology. These are through the WPS PIN for most modern models and the WPS push buttons for older printer models. So, nothing should prevent you from enjoying the convenience of the wireless connection if you have a WPS-compatible printer.
We hope you’ve found the answers you were looking for after reading our article, and you’re ready to get started regardless of the type of printer you have.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sometimes the WPS connection can fail. Keep your printer close to the router for improved signal strength in such a situation. Ensure that the printer and the other device (computer or mobile) are connected to the same wireless network. Lastly, ensure you enter the WPS PIN on time.
Yes. As we mentioned above, WPS is fast, safe, and secure. The technology is much better than the WPA and other technologies as far as security is concerned.
WPS enables you to join a Wi-Fi network even when you don’t know the network’s password. You only need to push the “WPS Button” on your router, and you’re good to go! But, even if WPS is reliable in terms of security, there still could be chances that attackers find their way into your network. For this reason, you should disable WPS.
Besides the WPS, there are other methods to connect your printer to a network. You can establish a connection with your Wi-Fi password through your printer control panel. Another way is to connect the printer using a USB cable and then create a wireless connection with your computer.
Yes. All routers come with a WPS button. Since the WPS technology was launched in January 2007, all modern Wi-Fi routers include this feature. Additionally, popular operating systems like Android, Linux, and Windows can use WPS to connect to a router or Wi-Fi network.