Are you having difficulty playing your favorite games because of your sinking chair? There are a few reasons why this might be happening happen.
If you want to know why your gaming chair keeps lowering, it might be because the gas lift on your chair is broken, the cylinder has become disconnected from the base, or you have exceeded the chair’s weight limit.
To cure your curiosity, we have written an extensive guide explaining why your gaming chair keeps lowering in a simplified manner.
Gaming Chair Keeps Lowering
If you don’t know why your gaming chair keeps falling, the following 3 reasons might be at play.
- The pneumatic cylinder is broken.
- The cylinder is disconnected from the base.
- The chair’s weight limit is exceeded.
Fixing Lowering Gaming Chair
If your gaming chair keeps lowering, it doesn’t always mean that you need to replace your chair. Try our 4 simple step-by-step methods to fix it quickly.
Method #1: Oiling the Component
Sometimes, the lever on your gaming chair is jammed due to excessive friction, causing it to be lowered. In such cases, you can fix your chair by oiling its components and lever to adjust it to your preferred height level.
Method #2: Using a Hose Clamp
If you want to stop your gaming chair from lowering, you can use a hose clamp to do it in the following way.
- Using the lever, adjust the chair to your preferred level of height.
- Wrap an 8/4″ hose clamp around the cylinder.
- Wrap the cylinder with duct tape or scuff it using sandpaper for better grip.
- Tighten the hose clamp after sliding it to the top of the cylinder.
Method #3: Using PVC Pipes
Using the following easy steps, you can also use a PVC pipe to prevent your gaming chair from sliding down.
- Measure the diameter of the cylinder after pulling the plastic skirt down and note the value.
- Measure the cylinder’s length and note it at your preferred height level.
- Get a PVC pipe of the measured diameter and length.
- Cut through the length of the pipe using a saw to make a slit. Be careful when using the saw to protect your body parts. Also, wear a mask to avoid inhaling dust particles.
- Slide the plastic skirt down and snap the pipe onto the cylinder of your gaming chair to stop it from lowering.
Method #4: Replacing the Pneumatic Cylinder
If you’ve figured that the issue with your lowering gaming chair is due to a broken or damaged pneumatic cylinder, you can replace it in the following way.
- Tip your chair and lay it down horizontally.
- Remove the retaining clips or unscrew the bolts using a wrench to disconnect the base from the chair.
- Lubricate the cylinder with lubricant and twist it with a wrench to remove it.
- Place the tapered part of the new pneumatic cylinder into the base and rotate it into place.
- Reconnect the base to the chair, and you’re done.
If all else fails, you can buy a new gaming chair and take some precautionary measures to prevent this from happening in the future.
Preventing Chair From Lowering
If you’ve just bought a new gaming chair, the following tips can help you prevent it from lowering.
- Do not put excessive weight on the chair.
- Do not lean back on the chair.
- Avoid sitting on the edge of the chair for extended periods.
In this guide, we have discussed why your gaming chair keeps lowering. We have also discussed how to fix the lowering chair issue and prevent this from happening in the future.
Hopefully, your question has been answered, and you can comfortably play games while sitting on your chair.
Frequently Asked Questions
The gas cylinder raises the chair’s height using a piston. Compressed gas is pumped through a valve and into the back of a piston. After that, the valve won’t open again until the gas lift handle is released and weight is applied to the chair.
Refilling the gas cylinder in a hydraulic chair is not possible, and in case of cylinder issues, it’s better cost-effective and time-saving to get a new chair. However, if you wish to keep the old chair, you can get a replacement for the gas cylinder on your chair easily.
A rocky gaming chair might occur for a variety of reasons; shortened legs as a result of poor assembling, loose seats, and damaged wheels. Fortunately, many of these problems can be solved by using a furniture tack or by removing and tightening screws using a Philips or flat-head screwdriver.
Gaming chairs are excellent for your back, especially when compared to less expensive office or task chairs. The typical design features in gaming chairs, such as a high backrest and a neck pillow, all support your back while promoting excellent posture.
A gaming chair should last at least two years without breaking or causing issues. Most people can easily maintain their gaming chair for up to three to five years. However, various factors, including usage, chair maintenance, and build quality, can affect how long a chair lasts.