Is the Instagram app on your iPhone refusing to work? If it is, don’t be too quick to conclude that your iPhone is broken. In most cases, when the Instagram app fails to work, it can be attributed to software-related issues and can easily be fixed. So, how do you troubleshoot an Instagram app when it fails to work on an iPhone?
The first thing you want to do when your Instagram app fails to work is to troubleshoot your internet connection. Clearing the app can also fix the issue. If the problem persists, rebooting your iPhone may resolve the issue. If it doesn’t, check if there’s an update for the app; if there is, install it. As a last resort, delete and reinstall the app.
Whether you’re using an iPad or an iPhone, the cause for the Instagram app crashing or not working is often the same. And the way you fix Instagram not working on your iOS device is the same. This article will expound on some ways to troubleshoot your iPhone when Instagram is not working on it.
How To Fix Instagram Not Working on iPhone
Here are five ways to troubleshoot your iPhone when Instagram is not working.
Method #1: Disconnect and Reconnect to Wi-Fi
Instagram is a server-based app requiring an internet connection to work. If your device has wireless or cellular connection issues, apps like Instagram will run into errors. If this is why the Instagram app on your iPhone stops working, briefly switching off and on the Wi-Fi or cellular will likely fix it.
Here’s how to troubleshoot your iPhone network when Instagram is not working.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap the Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
- Toggle the Wi-Fi switch off or the cellular switch off.
- After about 30 seconds, tap the switch again to turn it back on.
Method #2: Clear the App
Clearing the app on your iPhone can help fix minor glitches that cause it to misbehave. It’s more like refreshing the app to run smoothly.
Here’s how to troubleshoot Instagram not working on iPhone by clearing the app.
- From the home screen, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and hold to open the App Switcher.
- Swipe left or right to locate the Instagram app.
- Tap and hold the Instagram app in the preview, then tap the minus (-) sign in a red circle. Alternatively, you can swipe the Instagram app up to close it.
Method #3: Reboot Your Device
In some cases, clearing an app running in the App Switcher of an iPhone may not be sufficient to fix the issue. In such cases, you may have to reboot your device.
Here’s how to fix Instagram not working on an iPhone by rebooting your device.
- Press and hold the power button under the volume keys.
- A slider will pop up; drag the slider to turn off the iPhone.
- After 30 seconds, press the power button again for 10 seconds or until the Apple logo appears to turn on your iPhone.
Method #4: Install the App Update if Available
If there is an update for the Instagram app, you should install it. In most cases, an app update usually contains patches designed to fix common crash issues and some other bugs. Follow the steps below to check if your Instagram app has an update.
Here’s how to fix Instagram not working on an iPhone by installing its update.
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone.
- Tap the update icon at the bottom-right side of your screen
- Tap the Instagram app and click the “Update” button.
You may also select the “Update All” button to update all the apps on your iPhone simultaneously.
Method #5: Delete and Reinstall
The Instagram app may get corrupted when some malware bugs attack it. To fix such an issue, you must delete or uninstall the Instagram app, then reinstall it afresh. Use this method as a last resort to fix when your Instagram app is not working by deleting and reinstalling it afresh.
Here’s how to fix Instagram not working on an iPhone by deleting and reinstalling the app.
- Tap and hold the Instagram app from your iPhone’s home screen.
- When the app starts to jiggle, tap on the “X” icon at the top corner of the Instagram app.
- Confirm to delete the app.
- Once uninstall is complete, reboot your iPhone.
- Open the App Store and search for the Instagram app; install and open it.
Conclusively, if after trying out the different troubleshoot recommended in this article and the problem persists, then you should reach out to Instagram support. Instagram may not work on your iPhone because of some complex in-app error that requires more advanced troubleshooting procedures.