Are you trying to type accurate words on your computer, but the letters are shown backward? This is a bit weird, but you are not alone, as it happens with many users. Fortunately, there are multiple workarounds to help you fix this issue.
If your keyboard is typing backward, this usually happens due to faulty regional and language settings, outdated keyboard drivers, a minor software glitch in the operating system, or a wrong keyboard configuration.
We have compiled a detailed guide for you on why your keyboard is typing backward and how you can fix this problem using simple step-by-step methods.
- Why Is My Keyboard Typing Backward?
- Fixing the Backward-Typing Keyboard Error
Why Is My Keyboard Typing Backward?
Some potential reasons for your keyboard typing backward are given below.
- You may have selected the wrong region, making your keyboard type differently.
- Your keyboard drivers are outdated and need an update.
- A minor software glitch in your device might affect the keyboard’s operation.
- The configuration of your keyboard is wrong.
Fixing the Backward-Typing Keyboard Error
If you’re wondering how to fix the issue of your keyboard typing in the backward direction, our 7 step-by-step methods will help you solve this problem without much trouble.
Method #1: Restarting the PC
The first thing you can do to fix your keyboard showing letters backward is to restart your PC with these steps.
- Click the Start button from the taskbar on your PC.
- Select the power icon from the pop-up screen.
- Choose “Restart” and wait for your computer to turn off and back on again.
Restarting the PC will troubleshoot minor software glitches in your device, allowing you to use your keyboard correctly again.
Method #2: Running the Keyboard Troubleshooter
You can run a keyboard troubleshooter on your computer to fix the letters shown backward.
- Press the Windows key.
- In the search bar at the top, put “troubleshoot” and click “Troubleshoot Settings” from the search results.
- Click “Other troubleshooters” and find “Keyboard” from all the options displayed on the screen.
- Select the “Run” option next to “Keyboard”.
- Follow all the on-screen instructions to fix your keyboard backward typing issue.
Method #3: Changing the Regional Settings
It is possible to prevent your keyboard from typing backward by changing the regional settings on your PC with these steps.
- Click the search button, find and open Control Panel on your PC.
- Go to “Region” and select the “Location” tab.
- Click the drop-down menu to select the “Home location” and choose “United States”.
- Choose “OK” to save the settings.
- Restart your PC and see if the keyboard is typing correctly.
Method #4: Updating Keyboard Drivers
You can also update the keyboard drives to fix the backward typing issue.
- Press the Win + X keys and select “Device Manager” from the pop-up menu. You can also reach Device Manager by right-clicking the Start button and choosing it from the menu on your screen.
- Find and expand “Keyboards” from the list.
- Right-click the “Standard PS/2 Keyboard” option. The standard keyboard may vary depending on the model of your PC.
- Select “Update driver” from the menu on its right.
- Choose the “Search automatically for drivers” option to find and install the latest keyboard drivers.
- Restart your computer once the process completes to use the keyboard normally again.
Method #5: Changing the Application Settings
If you are experiencing seeing keyboard letters typed backward while using certain apps, you can fix the issue with these steps.
- Open Google Chrome on your PC, type in “about://flags” in the address bar, and hit Enter.
- Type “force” in the search bar and find “Force UI direction” from the search results.
- Choose the “Default” or “Left-to-right” option from the drop-down menu.
You have successfully fixed the issue of your keyboard backward-typing on your PC.
Method #6: Changing the Keyboard Settings
You can also resolve keyboard issues by changing its settings using these key combinations.
- Press the CTRL + right SHIFT keys to enable right-to-left typing on your keyboard.
- For left-to-right typing, press the CTRL + left SHIFT keys.
- Type something using your keyboard and see if the issue is resolved.
Method #7: Performing a Hard Reboot
Sometimes, hard rebooting the laptop can troubleshoot the keyboard bugs that might be causing the backward typing issue.
- Press and hold your PC’s power button until the device completely turns off.
- Wait for the computer to cool down and remove its battery.
- After a few minutes, press the power button to turn the PC on without the battery.
In this guide, we have discussed some of the reasons why your keyboard is typing backward and what are the possible fixes for this problem.
We hope one of these methods has worked for you, and you can now type correctly with your keyboard.