The floating keyboard comes in handy when you want to quickly type something on your screen without compromising viewing on your screen. But the truth is that the floating keyboard is not the most convenient way to type. Many users want to have this option as their default settings. Hence, how do you turn off the floating keyboard on your device?
Turning off the floating keyboard depends on the device you are using. But generally, to turn off the floating keyboard on most devices, you must do it from the keyboard settings.
The great thing about a floating keyboard is that you can place it anywhere on your screen. Hence, the floating keyboard can be an excellent way to type with one hand if you own a large screen. While the floating keyboard has its fair share of advantages, you should disable it if it simply doesn’t work for you.
This article explains more about how to turn off the floating keyboard.
Different Ways To Turn Off the Floating Keyboard
When you want to turn off the floating keyboard, there are a couple of things to consider. Firstly, your device will determine how you turn off the floating keyboard. Secondly, the type of keyboard you use will also determine how you turn off the floating keyboard. For this reason, we decided to elaborate on how to turn off the floating keyboard on Android, Apple, and Microsoft devices below.
Method #1: On Android
If you are using an Android device, there are several ways you can get the floating keyboard on your device in the first place. For most people, the keyboard they use on their Android device is the Google Keyboard which comes with the floating keyboard feature. Google Keyboard comes shipped with most Android devices today, and most times set as the default keyboard.
Here’s how to turn it off on an Android device.
- Open any Android app that enables your device’s typing environment.
- Tap on the three-dot icon at the top of your keyboard to reveal menus on the keyboard.
- Tap on the floating keyboard icon from the list and disable it.
Method #2: On Apple
Another common device people often use is an Apple device. Disabling the floating keyboard on an Apple device is also pretty straightforward. The steps you follow depend on whether you are using an iPad or an iPhone and the type of keyboard you use. The native onscreen keyboard on an Apple device lets you enable a floating keyboard if you’d want this feature. However, you can also download a third-party app to enable the floating keyboard feature.
Here are ways to turn it off on an Apple device.
- Reverse pinch the center of the iPad.
- Another way to disable the floating keyboard on an iPad is at the base of the floating keyboard, grab the bar, and drag it to the bottom center of your iPad screen.
- You can also grab and drag the floating keyboard to disable it on an iPhone.
Method #3: On Windows
If you own a Windows PC with a touch-sensitive screen or a 2-in-1 PC that can be converted to a tablet, you must have used the Touch floating keyboard. While the floating keyboard comes in handy in various situations, you’ve come to the right place if you don’t know how to disable it after using it.
- Open the Settings app on your Windows PC or press the shortcut Win + I.
- Tap on the “Personalization” tab from the left pane of your screen and tap on the taskbar from the right pane.
- Find the “Touch Keyboard” option and tap on it to enable or disable it. Also, you can easily tap on the “X” icon from the top right corner of the floating keyboard.
If you use a third-party app and the floating keyboard refuses to turn off even when you use the right settings, go to Settings > “Language & Input” or “Keyboard” > [App Name] > “Clear Data”. This will fix the issue, but note that this will also delete any data you have saved on your keyboard, restoring it to default mode.
As you can see from this guide, disabling the floating keyboard is not as difficult as you may have thought. Provided you know the right settings to check to find the option you are looking for, you can easily disable the floating keyboard on any device. Note that the steps might be slightly different for different brands, but generally, the idea is the same.