Over the years, gaming has evolved from a leisure activity into a giant industry that is as lucrative as any other industry. This fact is heavily highlighted by how much traction gamers get on social media and streaming platforms. And this has put a spotlight on online game streaming.
This is where the Discord community comes to play. Discord has grown to become a mainstream communication platform for all forms of gaming globally. However, while you can easily stream your PlayStation to YouTube and other media, there is no direct way to stream PS4 on Discord – yet.
Don’t stress about it. We’ve taken out time to develop a nifty workaround that will quickly enable you to stream your PS4 on Discord without any exaggerated expense. The step-by-step process is a bit technical and not so straightforward. However, a little bit of patience, and you’ll be set up in no time.
As we’ve said earlier, there is no direct PS4 functionality that can allow you to stream your PS4 on Discord directly. Nevertheless, we’ve come up with two workarounds that are tested and will allow you to stream your PS4 on Discord.
Method #1: Streaming From PlayStation to Twitch to Discord
Like we said earlier, the best we can do is make a workaround that might be a bit lengthy. So, please take a deep breath, and start the journey. First and foremost, here’s a list of what you’ll need.
- PlayStation 4.
- Twitch account.
- Discord account.
- Desktop or laptop.
Once you have all these in place, you are green for connection. Here are the steps.
Step #1: Connecting Your Twitch Account to PS4
- On your PS4 home screen, go to your Settings.
- In the settings panel, scroll down and select “Sharing and Broadcast“.
- In the expanded window, select “Link with Other Services“.
- From the expanded list of options, choose Twitch and follow the instructions for connecting services.
- Your Twitch account is now paired with your PlayStation, and you can now stream your PS4 directly to Twitch.
Step #2: Streaming Your PS4 on Twitch
- To start live streaming, you’ll need to launch any game.
- On your PS4 controller, press the Share Button, and a display menu will pop up on the side of your screen.
- In the display menu, scroll down to select “Broadcast Gameplay“.
- When you select “Broadcast Gameplay”, you’ll see a prompt that’ll ask you to choose the service you want to broadcast on. Select Twitch.
- A new screen featuring your open game will display. Here, there’ll be options that’ll allow you to edit the title of your stream, change the quality of your stream, and even send invites to other players.
- Select “Start Broadcasting” at the bottom-end of the screen.
- A new display will pop up where you’ll have the chance to either adjust “Audio Sharing Settings” or go straight into “Start Broadcasting“.
- When you select “Start Broadcasting“, your game will start streaming immediately.
Step #3: Streaming From Twitch to Discord
- Now that your stream is live, go to your laptop or desktop computer and access Twitch.tv, then sign in to your Twitch account.
- Locate and click the Twitch icon at the top-right corner of your Twitch.tv.
- In the drop-down menu, select “Channel“.
- Twitch will instantly bring you to your PlayStation Live Stream.
- Now that your Twitch.tv screen is displaying your PlayStation Live Stream, go to your computer’s home screen and open Discord.
- In Discord, select the channel that you want to broadcast your stream to.
- In the channel, click “Screen“.
- There will be a pop-out window which will require you to select the window you wish to share. Choose the window that has Twitch.tv screen open.
- You’ll be directed to a new window where you’ll be required to change or approve the streaming settings.
- Once you are satisfied with your settings, go live.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you’ll have successfully established a three-way stream connection from your PS4 to Twitch to Discord.
Method #2: Modifying Your PS4 To Stream Discord
This method might be a bit technical compared to the first method; however, we’ll try to make it as simple as possible so that you can digest it in one go.
Before we begin the modification process, you must know that you’ll need some accessories to establish a connection between your computer and the PS4. Take a look.
- A MixAmp or a gadget with similar functionality allows you to switch audio between your PS4 and computer.
- Cables – 3.5mm Male-to-Male, a 3.5mm Aux splitter, and a 3.5mm to 3.5mm with volume control.
- A headset.
- A Discord account and a Discord app installed on your computer.
Step #1: Set Up Discord on PS4
The first step of setting up Discord on your PS4 is ironically the easiest. Follow the simple step-by-step procedures, and you’ll get it done.
- Open the PlayStation browser on your PS4.
- In the address bar, search for Discord and open the web version.
- Log in to your account by providing the relevant login credentials.
- Once your account is loaded, you now have the Discord service on your PS4. If, however, you try any of Discord’s features, you’ll notice that nothing works.
Step #2: Using Discord on PS4
This next step is where it gets tricky and a bit technical, just like we mentioned earlier.
- Connect the optical cable from your MixAmp to your PS4 to facilitate switching audios.
- From your PS4 home screen, go to Settings.
- In the settings menu, scroll down to select “Sound and Screen“.
- Change the Primary Output to Digital Output.
- Connect one end of the USB cable into your base station and the other end into your PC. Ensure that your base station is in PC mode. If it isn’t, every additional step going from here will malfunction.
- On your desktop, open Discord, then go to voice settings to change the input device to your MixAmp.
- Use the 3.5mm audio jack to connect your Mixamp to your PC speakers.
- Go back to Discord and change the output device to your PC speakers under Voice settings.
Once you’ve completed all these steps, you’ll be able to talk through Discord and play games on your PS4 simultaneously. And you can start streaming PS4 on Discord without any issues.
While there are other means of streaming on Discord directly from your PS4, they are expensive and might require a professional service agent to set it up.
In this guide, we have discussed how to stream PS4 on Discord. While there is no direct means of Discord streaming functionality on the PS4, there are workarounds that you can pick, depending on your preference and use case. With this guide, you know how to maneuver your way around streaming from your PS4 to Discord.