In 2014, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that, on average, Apple devices handle well over 40 billion iMessage notifications daily. Unfortunately, many of these messages are junk. Unlike other devices, the iPhone can automatically block out these junk messages using dynamic lists, trend analysis, and other technology. But is it possible to find junk messages on an iPhone?
To find the junk messages on an iPhone, go to the iPhone’s Settings, and navigate to the “Message” folder. Scroll down and find the “Junk” option under the “Messages Filtering” tab; tap it, and you will find all the junk messages.
If you desire, you can clear all the junk messages on your iPhone or view the content of the messages. You even have the option to restore it.
Keep reading to learn more about the junk message on your iPhone.
How To Retrieve Junk Messages on an iPhone
While the iPhone does an excellent job at filtering spam messages from messages that are important to you. Unfortunately, sometimes, the iPhone reports important messages as spam and puts them in the junk folder. In such cases, you can quickly restore those messages from the junk folder.
Similarly, if you cleared your junk folder, but you suspect an important message might be in it, you can as well recover it. This section will discuss how you can retrieve junk messages on an iPhone.
Method #1: Filter Junk Messages
Apple allowed iPhone users to turn off iMessage notifications from senders who were not on their contact list. This will help them sort messages into an unknown sender and tap the “Messages” list. So, when you want to view messages from an unknown sender, you can simply tap on the “Unknown Sender” tab, and then you can decide to add the contact or report junk or even block the contact.
Here’s how to filter junk messages on an iPhone.
- Go to “Settings” on your device.
- Scroll down and tap the “Messages” option.
- Find the option “Filter Unknown Senders” and toggle the switch on.
You cannot open links in messages sent from an unknown sender until you reply to the message or add the sender to your contact.
Method #2: Use iTunes To Recover Junk Messages
In a situation where you want to recover messages you cleared from the junk folder, iTunes is a great tool to use. Using iTunes is quite handy when restoring your most recent synced data. So, if the messages have been removed for quite a long time, this program may fail to recover.
Here’s how to recover junk messages on an iPhone using iTunes.
- Use your USB cable to connect your iPhone to a Mac or Windows PC.
- Launch iTunes on your PC and tap the “Preference” tab.
- Navigate to the “Device” tab and check the box with the option “Prevent iPhones from syncing automatically”.
- Tap your iPhone icon, click “Settings”, and then go to the “Summary” menu in the left sidebar.
- Click the “Restore Backup” tab, select the most recent backup, and tap “Recover” to confirm the recovery pop-up dialogue.
Method #3: Use iCloud To Recover Junk Messages
Another way to deal with recovering junk messages you deleted on your iPhone is with iCloud. If you turn on iCloud to sync messages before deleting the junk messages, then you can easily retrieve them.
Here’s how to recover junk messages on an iPhone using iCloud.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and click on the Name/Apple ID to open iCloud.
- Toggle the switch off on the “Message” option, and when a notification appears, choose the option “Keep on My iPhone”.
- Toggle the switch on again and then tap the “Merge” button, and this will recover all the messages you deleted since the last backup, including the junk messages.
Ensure you are connected to a good Wi-Fi network during the sync process.
Method #4: Use a Third-Party App To Recover Junk Messages
There are also third-party apps you can use to recover deleted junk messages. Apps like Leawo iOS Data Recovery are an excellent example of a text messages data recovery tool you can use to retrieve data.
Here’s how to recover junk messages on an iPhone using Leawo iOS Data Recovery.
- Download the Leawo iOS data recovery app on your Mac or Windows PC and connect your iPhone to it via USB.
- Choose a recovery source from the main interface and choose the option “Recover” from iOS device, iTunes, or iCloud according to how you backup your device.
- Hit the “Start” button, and the app will initiate a scanning process, wait till it reaches 100%.
- Tap the messages from the left sidebar, select the messages you want to retrieve, and tap on the “Recover” button in the bottom-right corner of your screen to proceed.
In summary, as you can tell from this article, finding and recovering junk messages on your iPhone is not hard. After reading this guide, ensure you save any number that is important to use. And when you want to recover deleted junk messages, use the method that is most convenient for you.