The latest PS5 DualSense controller is a top-notch innovation, and it is unique, giving players access to the next-generation features. Over the years, Sony has improved and released different versions of PlayStation consoles and controllers. Let’s take a quick look at the evolution of these consoles.
- PlayStation – 1994
- PSone – July 2000
- PlayStation 2 – March 2000
- PlayStation 2 Slimline – September 2004
- PlayStation 3 – November 2006
- PlayStation 3 Slim – September 2009
- PlayStation 3 Super Slim – September 2012
- PlayStation 4 – November 2013
- PlayStation 4 Slim – 2016
- PlayStation 4 Pro – November 2016
- PlayStation 5 – 2020
You probably didn’t know PlayStation arrived in the mid-90s. Most PlayStation players have invested in these consoles back to back, and they replace their consoles as soon as a new version is released. Of course, every console comes with a controller, so let’s take a look.
- PlayStation Controller – 1995
- PlayStation Dual Analog Controller – 1997
- DualShock – 1998
- DualShock 2 – 2000
- Boomerang – 2005
- Sixaxis – 2006
- DualShock 3 – 2007
- PlayStation Move – 2009
- DualShock 4 – 2013
- DualSense – 2020
All these controllers were released at different times with different shapes and features. Although all the controllers have similar forms, the Boomerang, shaped like a boomerang, and the wand-like PlayStation Move had more unique features.
The PS5 DualSense Controller
As mentioned earlier, the PS5 DualSense is the latest and best of all controllers in the evolution of PlayStation controllers. You must be curious to know why this controller is highly rated. Check out these features.
- Haptid feedback: With this feature available on the DualSense, you are sure to feel every in-game action and every weapon recoil. This makes it even more real; you feel like an actual character in your game and not someone playing as a character.
- Adaptive trigger: This feature makes it easier to use the rear buttons on the controller while gaming.
- Inbuilt microphone: This makes it easy for players to chat with other players without using the headset.
- Create button: This button replaced the Share Button on DualShock 4. It does everything the share button does and more – such as taking screenshots, capturing game footage, and sharing media.
Other features include the Mute Button and the USB Type C port for charging.
How To Know if Your PS5 Controller Is Charging
The best way to enjoy your gaming session is to charge your controllers fully before you need them to avoid being interrupted during gaming sessions. While it is essential to charge your controllers, checking if they are charging after plugging them in is also advisable. Connecting any gadget to a power brick and coming back later only to discover that it has not been charging is one of the most frustrating things that you can experience as a gadget owner.
To check if your DualSense controller is charging, you can use any of the methods below:
- Click on the PlayStation Button on your controller to show the Control Center options on your screen. You will see the battery icon at the bottom of your screen animating, indicating that it is charging.
- The status of the lightbar on your PS5 controller is another way to know if it is charging. If an orange light pulsates from the lightbar, your controller is charging.
- If you are using a PS5 controller on your laptop, you can check the DS4Windows application to confirm if your PS5 controller is charging.
How do you use the DS4Windows application to check if your controller is charging? Follow these steps.
- Ensure your Bluetooth connection is activated.
- Launch the DS4Windows app by clicking the application icon.
- Navigate to the “Controllers” tab.
You will see the battery level on this tab, and it will show a plus (+) symbol if it is charging.
What if the Controller Isn’t Charging?
What do you do when you find out your PS5 controller isn’t charging? Firstly, you should know that there are various reasons why your PS5 may not be charging. Here are some of the probable causes.
- You may be using a damaged USB cable. In these cases, you only need to replace the cable with a functional one.
- The DualSense controller uses 3.0 ports for the correct amount of power. Anything less may hinder it from charging.
- Your DualSense controller may not charge if the port is clogged with dust or if it is beginning to rust. Clean the ports and try plugging in again.
- If the console or controller is damaged, you may find it challenging to charge your controller. Your best bet is to take the damaged one for repairs or get a replacement.
In this article, you’ve learned about the evolution of PlayStation consoles and controllers. We’ve also identified methods that you can use to check if your PS5 controller is charging. We have established reasons why your controller may not be charging and possible solutions.
Frequently Asked Questions
The official PlayStation Blog has revealed that it takes up to 3 hours for a PS5 controller to charge.
You can only use DualShock 4 controllers to play PS4 games on PS5. To play PS5 games on PS5, you must use the DualSense controller.
The DualSense controller is designed with unique and next-generation features. Using it with a PS4 console will limit your ability to access these features because the PS4 isn’t intended to work with a DualSense controller.
Yes, there are several differences between the two controllers. The first is the noticeable color design difference. The DualShock 4 variant has one color, while the DualSense comprises two colors. Also, new features like an inbuilt mic, haptic feedback, and adaptive triggers are present in the DualSense controller, including a USB-C.
Yes, they both have inbuilt speakers, motion control support, and a touchpad.