Printing errors are common when using different printers, which isn’t an exception with the Epson printer. If your Epson printer is not printing black, don’t worry because many other users also encounter a similar problem.
Due to this printing error, it becomes a challenge to create high-quality photos and professional documents, which the Epson printer is famous for delivering.
Below you can find a detailed overview of different solutions if your Epson printer isn’t printing black. Let’s get started.
- Why Is Your Epson Printer Not Printing Black Ink?
- How Can You Troubleshoot Your Epson Printer When It Isn’t Printing Black?
Why Is Your Epson Printer Not Printing Black Ink?
Your Epson printer not printing black is caused by different reasons, including:
- Incorrect source data.
- Printer’s driver problems.
- Printing paper-related problems.
- An issue with the cartridge.
- Printer head issues.
- The waste tank is full.
- The print head or nozzle is clogged.
- The Epson printer doesn’t sense the cartridge.
- There’s no black ink available to print.
- The spooler’s services aren’t working correctly because of the wrong connection.
- Firmware issues with your printer.
How Can You Troubleshoot Your Epson Printer When It Isn’t Printing Black?
You can follow different troubleshooting approaches to resolve a printing issue depending on the specific problem causing the Epson printer not to print black. Let’s check some of the solutions below.
1. Replace the Ink Cartridge on Your Epson Printer
Your Epson printer might not be printing black because the cartridge is destroyed or low on ink. If this is the case, you need to replace its ink cartridge. Ideally, you need to buy a branded cartridge that hasn’t been refilled and try printing with the Epson printer to see whether it’ll print black.
Here are the steps you should follow when replacing the ink cartridge:
- Switch off the printer.
- Open the print header.
- Take out the black cartridge from your printer.
- Unpack the new black cartridge.
- Fix the new black cartridge into your Epson printer.
- Restart your Epson printer and check whether it’s printing black.
If a faulty ink cartridge was responsible for your printer not printing black, following these steps should be enough to resolve the problem.
2. Clean the Print-Head of the Epson Printer
The print-head allows ink transfer from your Epson printer onto paper through tiny ink droplets through many printer nozzles. If a few of these nozzles block, the prints appear faded. You need to unclog the printer’s print heads and take the following steps when this happens.
For Windows Users
- Open the “Control Panel.”
- Open the “Devices and Printers” option.
- You’ll see the installed Epson printer with a Green check. Go ahead to right-click on it and choose the “Properties” option.
- Tap on “Preferences.”
- Head over to “Maintenance.”
- Press the “Head Cleaning.”
- After that, click on the “Start” option and follow the on-screen commands.
For Mac Users
- Open “System Preferences.”
- Tap on the “Printers & Scanners.”
- Select the “Epson Printer.”
- Press the “Options & Supplies” option.
- Press the “Utility” Tab.
- Click on the “Open Printer Utility.
- Press the option “Clean Nozzle.”
- Click the “Start” button.
Once you’ve followed these steps, you’ll solve the issue with your Epson printer not printing black because of a blocked nozzle.
3. Inspect the Ink Levels in the Cartridge
Another reason the Epson printer might not print black is because of low ink levels in the cartridge. In such a case, here are the steps you should follow:
- Open the “Control Panel.”
- Go to the “Devices & Printers” options.
- Right-click on the Epson printer and choose the “Print Preference” option.
- Tap on the “Repair” tab.
- Select the “Maintenance Menu” and press the “Epson Status Monitor” option to open it.
After doing this, you’ll see how much ink is contained inside the different cartridges and refill them if the levels are low.
4. Reboot the Print Spooler Settings
A problem with the print spooler settings might also be responsible for why your Epson printer connected to a Windows computer isn’t printing black. This issue is caused due to the print spooler settings not responding to commands by your Windows computer.
Fortunately, you can quickly resolve this issue by rebooting the print spooler settings and adding a new print command by following these steps:
- Open the “RUN” box.
- Click on the “OK” button.
- Go ahead and choose the “Print Spool.”
- Press on the “Print Spooler.”
- Click on the “Restart” option.
5. Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers of Your Epson Printer
The drivers of your Epson printer can also be why this device isn’t printing black. You can resolve this issue by uninstalling and reinstalling new drivers on your computer. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Open the “Run” window.
- Click the “OK” button.
- Choose the “Epson Printer.”
- Tap the “Uninstall” option.
- “Reboot” your Epson printer.
- Download the new drivers for your Epson printer.
- Run the “Printer Setup.”
- Agree to the “Installation terms.”
- Install the drivers by following the process.
The Epson printer is among the best printers that boast superb value for money and exceptional performance. Nonetheless, it occasionally does experience some issues that affect it from delivering a seamless performance, such as not printing black.
If you’ve ever experienced such an issue, this detailed article has outlined why your Epson printer isn’t printing black. In addition, you also have valuable insights on how you can resolve these issues when they arise.