Any computer connected to the internet is automatically assigned a unique network address, usually known as IP (Internet Protocol) address, and this also includes your Lenovo laptop. The IP address helps locate your PC on the internet or the local network. Your Lenovo laptop’s IP address differs depending on whether you’re connected to 4G, 5G, or the Wi-Fi network.
Here are the different methods of finding the IP address on a Lenovo laptop running a Windows OS.
• Use the Command (CMD) Prompt.
• Go to the Control Panel of your Lenovo laptop.
• Use the Settings app.
Using any of these approaches, you’ll be able to identify the IP address on your Lenovo laptop. And using this helpful information, you’ll be able to know what you’re being connected to or connect to specific applications.
Continue reading to get a comprehensive look at the steps you should follow. Let’s get started.
Method #1: Using the Command Prompt
One way to find the IP address of your Lenovo laptop running on Windows OS is by using the Command Prompt. Here are the steps to follow in this approach.
- Go to the bottom-left corner of your Lenovo laptop and click on the Start menu.
- After that, click on the search option, and you’ll see “Type here to search”, allowing you to find anything on your Lenovo PC.
- Type “cmd” to open the Command Prompt app and click the option “Run as Admin”.
ipconfigand tap Enter. Doing this will show the different network information on the screen of your Lenovo laptop relating to your local network.
- Search for the line that shows
IPv4 Addresswhich should be located right above
The IP address should comprise four sets of numbers, each set with a maximum of three digits. The IP address will, for instance, be something such as 192.168.1.60.
When connected to over one local network, for instance, you’re connected by a network cable and Wi-Fi, there can be over one network adapter. And to find the IP address of your Lenovo laptop, check IPv4 Address under each adaptor.
Method #2: Using the Control Panel
Another approach you can use to find the IP address of your Lenovo laptop is to go to the Control Panel when running an older Windows OS. However, this method can still work if your Lenovo laptop runs on Windows 10 and 11. Below are the steps to follow, and it’s identical regardless of the Windows you’re running.
- Launch the Control Panel.
- Head to “Network and Internet”.
- Tap on “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Press the option “Change adapter settings” in the left column. All your laptop’s network adapters will appear, including virtual adapters such as Virtual Machines or VPNs.
- Choose the network you want, right-click on it, and tap on “Status”. Select the network you want, whether Ethernet or Wi-Fi, by clicking on it.
- Tap on the option “Details”.
- The IP address of your Lenovo laptop will appear next to IPv4 Address.
Method #3: Using the Settings App
You can also find the IP address of your Lenovo laptop by going to the Settings app. It’s important to note that the steps to follow if you use this method differ depending on the Windows OS version on your computer. Here are the steps to check your IP address if your Lenovo laptop is running on Windows 10.
- Go to the bottom-left corner of your Lenovo laptop and right-click the Windows tab.
- Click on the Settings app.
- Tap on “Network & Internet”.
- Check the left menu and pick either Ethernet or Wi-Fi when connected using an ethernet cable or wirelessly.
- When connected wirelessly, click on “Wi-Fi” and tap the Wi-Fi network you’re connected to, showing an entire list of properties. Navigate to the bottom, where you’ll see the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
- If you’re connected using an ethernet cable, tap on “Ethernet” and then go to the right to select the correct network name. Subsequently, scroll to the bottom section, where you’ll see network properties such as IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
If your Lenovo laptop is running on Windows 11, below are the steps you need to follow.
- Launch the Settings app.
- Select “Network & Internet” on the menu’s left side and then tap on “Properties”.
- Both the IPv6 and IPv4 addresses will show on the screen.
The IP address of your Lenovo laptop is essential as it’s a unique identifier of your PC when connected to a specific network, be it a local intranet or huge networks like the internet. And knowing your laptop’s IP address is crucial in today’s world, where computers are highly interconnected, enabling access to another device or sharing resources remotely.
If you’re stuck on where to start to find the IP address, reading this article has enlightened you on everything you wish to know. Therefore, you’ll appreciate the importance the IP address plays in ensuring the internet delivers all crucial data you want, for instance, websites and emails. As a result, you’ll be able to send and receive any information you want.