The IPA or iOS App Store Package file is an iOS app that stores iOS apps. Most IPA files comprise data such as social networking, games, news, and weather, to name a few. Once installed on your iPhone, the IPA file is compressed, and you can later use a decompressing program to decompress it.
If you wish to install an IPA file on your iPhone, you’ll be happy to learn doing this is possible without jailbreaking your iOS device. Some of the practical ways you can achieve this include the following.
• Use the iTunes app installed on your Mac or Windows laptop.
• Use AnyTrans.
By following any of these approaches, you’ll be able to install an IPA file on your iPhone without needing to jailbreak it. Read on for a more comprehensive look at the steps to follow when installing IPA files on your iPhone.
Method #1: Using iTunes
A simple way to install IPA files on your iPhone is by using the iTunes app, either installed on your Windows PC 64-bit, Windows PC 32-bit, or Mac. This official software by Apple enables you to follow easy steps to install third-party apps, such as IPA files, on your iOS device.
But for iTunes to work, you must be using iTunes 12.6 or older because Apple removed the “App” section on the newer versions of iTunes. Once you’ve downloaded the IPA file, it gets saved on your computer for easy access in the future for synchronizing with your devices.
Here are the different storage locations for these files.
- Mac: Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Mobile Applications/
- Windows: C:\Users\\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications\
Here are the steps to follow when installing IPA on your iPhone using iTunes if you own a Mac.
- Download the IPA file and save it on your computer where this app will be hosted.
- Download the iTunes app if it isn’t already present on your Mac or Windows PC.
- After launching the iTunes app, use a USB or Lightning cable to connect your iPhone to your Windows or Mac laptop/desktop. This allows you to synchronize the iTunes app with your computer.
- Confirm your iPhone gets linked to the iTunes app, allowing you to see the file in the system.
- Find and launch the IPA file you wish to install on your iPhone. After that, use iTunes to open it, and this can be done by right-clicking on the icon and selecting “iTunes” from the menu.
- Tap on the “Install” button adjacent to the IPA file name. Subsequently, tap on the “Done” button to start the IPA file’s installation process, and once complete, this app should be available on your iPhone.
Method #2: Use AnyTrans
You can also install IPA files on your iPhone without needing iTunes, which is possible thanks to AnyTrans. The AnyTrans all-in-one app comes in handy when managing and transferring iOS content if you don’t want to lose crucial data on your iPhone. The AnyTrans software is also ideal if you find the iTunes process somewhat complicated and tiresome.
Using AnyTrans makes installing IPA files on your iPhone much simpler because it integrates many outstanding features.
- Allows you to export IPA files to your computer by making simple clicks.
- AnyTrans enables you to access iCloud backup and ability to upload data saved on your computer.
- It makes it possible to transfer apps and other data between computers to iOS gadgets, as well as between iOS gadgets.
You should follow the steps below when using the AnyTrans app to install IPA files on your iPhone.
- Open the AnyTrans app on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac or Windows PC using a Lightning/USB cable and proceed to tap on the “Apps” icon.
- Click on the “+” button located in the upper right corner and choose the IPA file you’re looking to install on your iOS device.
- Tap “Open” to initiate the transfer process.
Once the transfer process is complete, the IPA files will have been installed on your iPhone. You shouldn’t be concerned about using the AnyTrans app as it’s completely safe from malware and viruses.
The iOS App Store is the only place to download and install apps on your iPhone. But in instances where you want to download and install an app’s older version, which can’t be found on the iOS App Store, you need to install an IPA file. This is necessary even though installing IPA files on your iPhone is technically going against Apple’s terms and conditions.
However, installing IPA files might sound complicated, especially if you aren’t into tech. This guide has eased such concerns by detailing the various approaches you can follow when installing IPA files on your iOS device. And with this knowledge, you can now proceed with installing IPA files on your iPhone without breaking a sweat.