Locating the WPS button is essential because you’ll need it to set up your router. Netgear routers have a WPS button that enables a secure connection between the router and other WPS-enabled devices. Finding the WPS button can be tricky, especially if it’s your first time using a Netgear router.
So, where’s the WPS button located on a Netgear router?
The WPS button is located at the back of the Netgear router alongside the Ethernet port on the router. The button may look different depending on the router you’re using. Some Netgear routers label the button WPS, while others have a WPS icon or symbol.
Note that in some routers, the button may be located on the front of the router or the side of the router below the Wi-Fi ON/OFF button.
Read on to find out how to locate the WPS button on your Netgear router.
Overview of WPS Button on Netgear Router
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is an inbuilt feature designed to make connecting to WPS-enabled routers and devices easier. The WPS button is essential for changing the network security status to make the network accessible to other devices without a password. You can also use it to change your Wi-Fi password.
WPS has two methods of connecting to WPS-enabled devices:
- WPS Push Method
- WPS PIN Method
The WPS push method is used when your router and device support the WPS feature. Suppose your router has a WPS button and you have a WPS-enabled device. In that case, you can press the WPS buttons on both the router and WPS-enabled device, and they’ll automatically pair even without a password.
On the other hand, if your router supports WPS but doesn’t have a WPS button, you can establish a connection with other devices using the WPS PIN method.
How To Set Up Your Router Using the WPS Button
After locating the WPS button, you can use it to set up your router. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect the router to a power source and switch it “on”.
- Open the “Settings” menu of your router.
- Click on “Network” > “Network Set up”/“Setup Network Connections”.
- Select “Wi-Fi”.
- Click on “WPS” (Push button), then select “Start”. Your device will begin searching for a network.
- Press the WPS button on the Netgear router.
- Click on your router’s name.
- Enter a passkey if it’s required and click “OK”.
How To Disable WPS on a Netgear Router
To disable WPS, follow the steps below:
- Go to your browser address bar and type in www.routerlogin.net.
- Enter the required credentials (The default username is admin, and the default password is password).
- Click on “Advanced Setup”.
- Select “Wireless Settings”.
- Click on “Disable Router’s Pin”.
- Select “Apply”.
How To Disable Netgear WPS Adapter Using Device Manager
To disable Netgear WPS on your PC, follow the steps below:
- Click the “Start” button.
- Type “Device Manager” on the search bar and click on it.
- Go to the “Network Adapters” category and expand it.
- Right-click the Netgear WPS adapter and select “Disable”.
WPS Button on Netgear Router Not Working
There are several reasons why the WPS button may stop working. To fix this, follow the procedure below:
- Reset your Netgear Router by inserting a pin in the reset hole found at the back of the router.
- After the router reboots, press the WPS button for about five seconds. The WPS LED light will begin flashing.
If the above solution doesn’t work, you’ll need to configure the wireless network manually.
As you’ve learned in this article, the WPS button is located at the back of your Netgear router alongside the Ethernet port. The WPS feature allows your Netgear router to connect with WPS-enabled devices without the need for a password. Hopefully, we’ve helped you learn how to connect your device to the network using the WPS button.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you press the WPS button, your router appears in the list of available networks, and other devices in its range can identify and connect to the network. However, if your network has a password, only devices that input the correct security key can connect to it.
Don’t press the WPS button for more than five seconds unless you want to reset your Netgear router.
Yes, you can use the WPS button to reset your router. You can do this by pressing the WPS button for more than 10 seconds. Release the WPS button after the WPS LED light begins flashing and wait for the router to reset.
Not all routers come with a WPS button. If you can’t find the WPS button on your router, you can still configure your router using the web-based interface.